This Whole30 breakfast casserole with sausage, eggs, spinach, and mushrooms is flavorful enough to live off of during a Whole30. You’ll love this healthy, paleo breakfast casserole because it’s packed with flavor, protein, and fiber, making you feel a-freaking-mazing all day.
Any time we’re on a Whole30, I spend a couple hours on Sunday afternoon, making dishes for the week. This usually looks like a batch of Whole30 garlic mayonnaise, Whole30 chicken salad, and Whole30 ranch dressing. But one Sunday, I was struck by the strangest, strongest urge to make a sausage and veggie bake, filled with chopped spinach, fresh tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms, homemade spicy breakfast sausage, and fresh herbs.
And you know what? I never tired of eating this Whole30 and paleo breakfast casserole that week, not once! No, I fell in love with the creamy egg bake, the rich sausage, the fresh veggies, the flavorful herbs. This is saying a lot, considering I need a savory breakfast to be absolutely top notch to maintain my attention.
Even better, I felt amazing after eating it, which is one of my very favorite things about eating a Whole30 breakfast. There’s no heaviness or energy slump. Nah, you feel light and energized and full until lunch. With loads of veggies and plenty of protein, this Whole30 breakfast casserole with sausage, eggs, spinach, and mushrooms might just be Whole30-perfect.
Why this Whole30 breakfast casserole is so good:
- It’s the Whole30 breakfast casserole for Whole30 breakfast casserole haters. It’s packed absolutely full of flavor and contains tons of protein.
- It isn’t heavy, and there’s great fiber content, too. This dish is one where I combined basically everything good I could think of and included all my favorite veggies: sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes. We had fresh basil on hand, so of course I added it. However, you’d be fine without it, or you could substitute dried basil easily.
- This Whole30 breakfast casserole comes together quite easily, making your Sunday meal prep easier than ever.
On top of being oh-so-flavorful, it’s super easy and pretty darn quick… major bonus points for anything Whole30, if you know what I mean. The directions go basically as follows: sauté stuff, pour eggs over, bake, um… eat? As much as I freaking love making mayonnaise all the time (liar, liar, pants on fire), I am all about some efficiencies in the kitchen.
- This Whole30 breakfast casserole is super versatile, so you can try it with different meats (Bacon is great!) or veggies. Sun-dried tomatoes would be awesome in this.
- Increase the eggs to 12 for an eggier paleo breakfast casserole that makes a bit more.
- Swap out roasted sweet potatoes for the mushrooms if you’re not a fan of fungi.
- Evenly distribute the veggie filling among the cups in a muffin tin and pour the eggs over for an on-the-go breakfast option.
- Don’t overbake this Whole30 breakfast casserole! Cook it until it’s just set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Make sure you squeeze the water out of your thawed spinach, otherwise you’ll end up with a watery mess! If you do forget, just sauté the veggie mixture longer or until the water is evaporated.
How to make this Whole30 breakfast casserole with sausage:
Preheat oven to 350º F. If making your own Whole30 breakfast sausage, combine all sausage ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well.
Brown and crumble sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat.
Add mushrooms and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add remaining veggies and spices–spinach, tomatoes, green onions, basil, and salt–and cook about 2 minutes, or until slightly softened. Transfer to a 9×13″ baking dish.
Whisk eggs in a medium bowl until smooth. Pour over sausage-veggie mixture and smooth with the back of a spoon. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Recipes you’ll also like:
- Whole30 Hashbrown and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- How to Make Soft Boiled Eggs
- Paleo Sweet Potato Apple Breakfast Bake
- Sweet Potato Whole30 Breakfast Bowl
- Whole30 Breakfast Sandwiches
- Easy Whole30 Breakfast Sausage
- Whole30 Quiche Lorraine with Hashbrown “Crust”
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review below! ? And make sure to share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
Whole30 Breakfast Casserole with Sausage, Eggs, Spinach, and Mushrooms
This Whole30 breakfast casserole with sausage, eggs, spinach, and mushrooms is flavorful enough to live off of during a Whole30. You'll love this healthy, paleo breakfast because it's packed with flavor, protein, and fiber.
- 1 pound Whole30-compliant breakfast sausage (recipe below)
- 3 cups sliced button mushrooms
- olive oil , as needed
- 6 green onions , sliced
- 3 Roma tomatoes , seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil (or 2 teaspoons dried basil)
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach , thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 10 eggs
Whole30-Compliant Breakfast Sausage
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch dried marjoram
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- pinch ground cloves
Whole30-Compliant Breakfast Sausage
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well with your hands. Use in recipe right away or keep in an airtight container for 1 day in the fridge.
Whole30 Breakfast Bake
Preheat oven to 350º.
In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown and crumble sausage. Add olive oil if necessary.
Add mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add remaining vegetables, herbs, and salt and cook about 2 minutes or until slightly softened and well combined. Pour mixture into a 9x13" pan.
Crack eggs into a medium bowl and whisk well. Pour over sausage-vegetable mixture and bake 25-30 minutes or until a knife, inserted in the center, comes out clean.