This tater tot breakfast casserole is absolutely the best! With plenty of sausage, eggs, tater tots, and cheese, this recipe is easy to make and bake right away, or make it ahead, chill overnight, and cook in the morning – like for Christmas morning! Either way, it’s so delicious and full of flavor, it’s a family favorite in our house.
What Makes This the Best Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- It’s a filling breakfast that covers all the bases – meat, potatoes, eggs, dairy. Best of all, it only takes one pan, so clean up is a breeze!
- It is so easy to make and is super delicious. My whole family loves tater tot casserole mornings, so I guarantee this recipe will please even your pickiest eaters.
- Make this ahead of time and don’t give up your mornings! Prep everything as instructed and refrigerate in a covered baking dish until it’s time to cook, then pop it in the oven! The uncooked casserole can be refrigerated for up to 12 hours.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. Reheat in the oven to keep the tots crispy!
- It makes a great freezer meal, too! Let the finished casserole cool completely, wrap tightly in foil, then stash it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating it in the oven. I see you, busy people!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
Sausage – You can use any type of sausage for this recipe, but I really love the kick you get from spicy breakfast sausage! Maple sausage would be a great variation, too.
Tater Tots – Maybe not the healthiest form of potatoes, but wow, are they good! Tater tots really contribute to the “comfort food” aspect of this dish.
Eggs – Not just any boring old eggs, though. These are seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper, then whisked with milk so they’re fluffy, not rubbery.
How to Make a Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
The full recipe & ingredients list are below, but here you’ll find a quick overview for making this recipe perfectly, along with useful tips and info!
The most involved step in this recipe is right here in the beginning. Cook the sausage until just brown and crumbly, then stir a portion of the tots and cheese into the sausage. If you’re not using a cast iron skillet, you’ll want to transfer this mixture to a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Whisk the eggs, milk, and seasonings together. Pour that mixture on top of the sausage mixture, then top with the remaining tater tots. You don’t have to make a pretty tot arrangement if you don’t want to. Just make sure the tots are spread out in an even layer so they bake thoroughly.
After everything has baked through, top the casserole with the remaining cheese and put it back in the oven until it’s melty. Garnish with green onions and serve hot!
- You can really make this dish your own! The recipe calls for a cup of shredded pepper jack or cheddar cheese, but using a half cup of each cheese gives the casserole a little extra flavor.
- For extra bursts of flavor and a little crunch, add sliced or diced bell peppers and onions to the mixture before you place the top layer of tater tots.
- If you prefer, use diced ham or bacon in place of the breakfast sausage, or use all three for a meat lover’s tater tot breakfast casserole!
- Be careful not to overcook your sausage on the stovetop. Since the whole dish will bake for an hour in the oven, you don’t want to dry out the meat.
More Incredible Breakfast Recipes
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- Sweet Potato Waffles
- Italian Breakfast Casserole (Whole30, Keto)
- Keto French Toast
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
The BEST Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. If not using a cast iron skillet, lightly spray a 9×13 pan or dish with cooking spray.
- In large skillet, cook sausage until brown.
- Drain fat. Add ¼ tater tots and 1 ½ cups cheese. Stir to combine. If using a 9×13 pan, transfer here.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and milk.
- Pour eggs over tater tot mixture.
- Evenly layer remaining tater tots in a pattern on top of mixture. If baking later, cover and refrigerate at this point.
- Bake uncovered for 60 minutes or until eggs are set. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted, approximately 5 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and serve hot.
- Looking for a freezer meal? Bake the full casserole, let it cool, then cover tightly in foil (or store in an airtight container) and freeze it for up to 2-3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight before baking to reheat.
- Make it Keto: Substitute cauliflower tots for tater tots, and use heavy cream instead of milk. Check the sausage labels for hidden carbs and sugars, too.