This hash brown and sausage breakfast casserole is a Whole30 breakfast recipe that’s filling, creamy, and full of flavor. With hash browns, a creamy sauce, spicy sausage, and creamy eggs, this is one of our favorite Whole30 breakfast recipes and good enough to eat for dinner!
Whole30 breakfast recipes are a challenge for me.
I need them to be…
- damn delicious
And if they’re not? I’d honestly rather skip breakfast, which is a no-no on a Whole30!
So I make my Whole30 breakfast a priority.
I have a super non-Whole30 breakfast recipe I absolutely love (Though the post and photos are insanely embarrassing, I’ll let you look if you want), loaded with shredded hash browns and a creamy béchamel sauce and breakfast sausage and lots and lots of cheese. I love it so much and never tire of eating it but decided it was time to make it a bit healthier!
Why this hash brown and sausage Whole30 breakfast recipe is so good:
- I used my hash brown and sausage casserole as the inspiration but focused on creamy eggs and a dairy-free sauce, making it healthier and more filling at the same time. Whole30 breakfast perfection.
- It’s creamy and rich, thanks to the coconut milk and eggs.
- The pre-shredded hash browns make it an easy Whole30 breakfast to throw together on a Sunday for meal prep to eat all week.
When I made it the first time, we ate it for dinner, and my husband finished… wait for it… An entire half of the dish. Whoa. While not a serving size I’d necessarily recommend, it just truly goes to show how delish this Whole30 breakfast is!
- Use coconut milk instead of cashew cream if you’re allergic to nuts: use 1 13.5-ounce can of coconut milk or cream.
- Shred your own hash browns: peel a couple of Russet potatoes and shred with a box grater or food processor. Wrap in a paper towel and squeeze to reduce any excess moisture.
- Use cassava flour in place of the arrowroot powder if you prefer.
- Make your Whole30 breakfast sausage with my super easy recipe.
- Use frozen hash browns – they’re easier to find Whole30 compliant – and let them thaw a little ahead of making this Whole30 breakfast.
- A knife inserted into the center of the casserole will not come out clean when it’s done, but the surface will be firm.
- You can use tapioca flour if you don’t have arrowroot or cassava flour on hand.
How to make this Whole30 breakfast recipe:
Brown sausage in a large skillet, crumbling with a spatula or wooden spoon.
Meanwhile, make cashew cream. Put 3/4 cup raw cashews in a 2-cup measuring cup then pour warm or hot water over to make 2 cups. Let side while sausage browns then blend in a high-speed blender until very, very smooth. Alternately, skip this whole thing and use 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk.
Sprinkle arrowroot over browned sausage then stir in 1 1/2 cups cashew cream. Bring to a boil and cook about 3-5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Season with lots of freshly ground black pepper.
Whisk together eggs and remaining cashew cream, salt, spices, and 1/3 of the sliced green onions.
Spread hash browns evenly in a 3-quart baking dish and season with a bit of salt. Top with 1/3 of the green onions, then the sausage mixture, then the egg mixture. Bake at 350º for 45-50 minutes or until the surface is firm. Sprinkle with remaining green onions, let cool slightly, then cut into squares, and serve.
Other Whole30 breakfast recipes you’ll love:
- Whole30 Breakfast Casserole with Sausage, Eggs, Spinach, and Mushrooms (Keto)
- How to Make Soft Boiled Eggs
- 15 Whole30 Breakfast Ideas
- Sweet Potato Whole30 Breakfast Bowl
- Easy Whole30 Breakfast Sausage
Did you make and love this recipe? Give your review below! ? And make sure to share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
Hash Brown and Sausage Whole30 Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage Whole30 compliant or make your own
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 3/4 cup raw cashews or use 1 can coconut milk, see Notes
- warm water to cover cashews
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1- pound package shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 bunch green onions finely chopped, about 9 small or 7 medium
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 1/2-1 tsp. salt
- spray coconut oil or coconut oil for greasing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray or grease a 3-quart baking dish with coconut oil.
- Make cashew cream: put 3/4 cup raw cashews in a 2-cup measuring cup then pour warm or hot water over to make 2 cups. Let side while you cook sausage then blend in a blender on high speed until completely smooth.
- Cook sausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with a spoon or spatula, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle arrowroot over sausage, stirring to coat, then add in 1 1/2 cups cashew cream (or 1 1/2 cups coconut cream, whisked). Cook until mixture thickens and comes to boil, stirring occasionally, about 3-5 minutes. Add plenty of fresh black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and add remaining cashew cream (or coconut cream), spices, salt, and 1/3 of the green onions.
- In a baking dish, spread hashbrowns evenly, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Top with 1/3 of green onions, then sausage mixture, then egg mixture. Bake 45-50 minutes then sprinkle with remaining green onions. A knife inserted in the center won't come out clean because of the creamy sauce, but the surface should be firm. Cut into squares and serve.
Recipe originally published in December 2017 but updated with new photos, directions, and video December 2018.