A breakfast version of the beloved egg roll in a bowl, made with breakfast sausage, sweet mango, and all topped with a delicious fried egg! Whole30 and paleo, this egg roll in a bowl update might be even better than the original, and is a great healthy meal prep option for busy mornings.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- Meal prepping? Breakfast egg roll in a bowl is a perfect Whole30 or Paleo recipe to make-ahead so you can save valuable morning time.
- It’s got a healthy serving of protein and fat to keep you full and satisfied until lunch.
- If you don’t eat pork, don’t worry! You can use ground turkey or ground chicken and it will still be amazing.
Breakfast Egg Roll in a Bowl Ingredients
Sriracha – Tangy. Spicy. Garlicky. Sweet. I love it. Unfortunately, traditional premade sriracha contains sugar, so it’s a Whole30 no-no. Fortunately, I found out it’s actually really easy to make your own. You can find my DIY Whole30 (and vegan, paleo, and sugar-free) sriracha recipe here.
Mayonnaise – Mayo gets a lot of undeserved hate, in my opinion. It’s creamy, rich, and adds a little zing to just about anything. It can be really difficult to find a Whole30-compliant mayo at the store, though. Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayonnaise is a great option in a pinch, but I prefer to make my own. Get my One Minute Whole30 Mayo recipe here!
Coconut aminos – This is a soy-free, wheat-free, gluten-free, and lower-sodium alternative to soy sauce, which is PERFECT for Whole30 compliance.
Mango – Not only are they a yummy, juicy source of fiber, but mangoes are full of vitamins and antioxidants that bodies love. Plus, they’re easy to find at the grocery store year-round.
How to Make Breakfast Egg Roll in a Bowl
The full recipe & ingredients list are below, but here you’ll find a quick overview for making this recipe perfectly, along with useful tips and info!
Saute the garlic with the white parts of your green onions in some sesame oil, then add in your ground pork and cook with the ginger, water chestnuts, and sriracha. You want to be able to crumble the browned pork with a spatula.
When that’s ready, toss in the coleslaw mix, mango, salt, pepper, and remaining wet ingredients. Stir it all together and cook until everything is combined and the coleslaw is tender. While that’s happening, whisk mayo, sriracha, and salt together in a small bowl for a quick and easy creamy chili sauce.
Who says breakfast has to be plain? Spoon a hearty helping of the breakfast egg roll mixture into a bowl, then top it with your favorite type of fried egg, drizzle some creamy chili sauce on top, and garnish with a little green onion and black sesame seeds.
- For easy drizzling, place some of the creamy chili sauce in a sandwich bag and snip off the corner. Voila!
- “Cooking” garlic becomes “burning” garlic pretty quickly, so be careful. Saute until it’s just fragrant.
- If you’re meal prepping your breakfast egg roll in a bowl, store your creamy chili sauce separately from your egg roll mixture.
- Frying an egg can be trickier than you’d think. For the best results, use a non-stick skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot and the ghee is melted, slowly pour in your egg from a small bowl. Cook until the egg whites are set but the yolk is still soft. Remove immediately for sunny-side-up, or flip and cook an additional 10-30 seconds for over-easy eggs; 30-60 seconds for over-medium eggs; or 1-2 minutes for over-hard eggs. Season with salt and pepper!
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Breakfast Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6 green onions sliced, green and white parts divided
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground pork sausage Whole30 compliant, or make your own
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts chopped, see Notes for keto or low carb
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or hot sauce Whole30 compliant, or make your own
- 14 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos see Notes
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 mango peeled and chopped., see Notes for keto or low carb
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon white pepper or black pepper
Creamy Chili Sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute white parts of green onions and garlic.
- Add ground pork, ginger, water chestnuts, and 1 tablespoon of sriracha. Cook until pork is browned, broken up, and cooked through, about 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in coleslaw mix, coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, white pepper, mango, and salt. Stir regularly until everything is well combined and the coleslaw is tender, about 5 minutes.
For the Creamy Chili Sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and hot sauce. Add a pinch of salt, to taste.
For the Toppings
- Fry eggs in 1 tablespoon ghee
- Coconut aminos are a MUST for Whole30 compliance, but if you’re not Whole30, you can substitute your favorite soy sauce instead.
- Make your own sugar-free sriracha to keep this dish Whole30 compliant, or substitute a compliant hot sauce, like Frank’s Red Hot or Tabasco.
- Remember, standard grocery-store mayonnaises contain ingredients that aren’t allowed on a Whole30 diet. Opt for something like Primal Kitchen’s Avocado Oil Mayo, or make your own!
- Make it low carb: Leave out the mangoes and water chestnuts.
- Make it keto: Leave out the mangoes and water chestnuts, and use soy sauce instead of coconut aminos.