This beef consommé is ultra rich and flavorful! Sip on a mug of this indulgent clarified beef broth on a chilly night as either a light meal or delicious snack. Ground beef, beef stock, egg whites, and a variety of fresh herbs and vegetables is all you’ll need for this luxurious recipe!
What Makes This Beef Consommé So Good
- It’s surprisingly simple to make! This hands-off recipe requires very little labor, and no complicated ingredients. Start by prepping the consommé, then leaving everything to simmer for 90 minutes before straining and enjoying.
- It’s light, but tastes irresistibly indulgent. By leaving the liquid to simmer for so long, we allow extra flavor to build. The end result if a clarified broth loaded with deep, rich flavor that won’t weigh you down.
- It’s incredibly versatile, and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways! Sip on this beef consommé as a snack, or use it as a broth in your favorite soups. I especially love a hot mug of this stuff on a chilly winter night to warm me up from the inside out!
Egg Whites – The egg whites are vital to the process of making beef consommé. When left to simmer, all solids will float to the top of the broth and form a “raft.” This raft separates the clarified broth from the rest of the ingredients. The egg whites in this recipe are what bind together the solids, which then form the necessary raft.
Lean Ground Beef – Use 90% or higher lean ground beef in this recipe. Any remaining fat will need to be strained from the broth before serving. Therefore, to ensure the least amount of rendered fat as possible, start with extremely lean ground beef.
Tomatoes – The acidity in the tomatoes helps to break down the beef, offering up more of its delicious flavor. Tomatoes aren’t vital to the creation of this beef consommé, though they are extremely helpful.
- As soon as the beef and vegetables have risen to the top of your pot, stop mixing. This is my personal favorite part of the recipe, when you get to walk away for 90 minutes before returning to a deeply flavorful consommé!
- Try your best to not disturb the solids at the top of the broth when straining. What makes beef consommé so special, is how beautifully clarified it is. Therefore, avoid a cloudy broth by keeping the liquid as separate as possible.
- Store this consommé in airtight containers in the fridge for up to three days. Either sip on it or add it to your favorite soup recipes! Alternatively, you can freeze your clarified broth in airtight containers for up to three months.
Delicious Ways to Use This Recipe
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pound lean ground beef see Notes
- 1 cup onion chopped
- ½ cup carrots chopped
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 5 quarts beef stock cold
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Large pot
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl until frothy.
- Mix together egg whites, ground beef, onion, carrots, celery, and tomatoes in a large pot.
- Pour in cold beef stock, mix well. Add in bay leaves salt, thyme, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Stop stirring once beef and vegetables have hardened and risen to the top. Poke a small hole in the beef mixture, then leave untouched to simmer for 90 minutes.
- Once cook time is up, remove pot from heat and strain through a mesh strainer fitted with a cheesecloth. Discard solids and serve beef consommé hot.
- Lean Ground Beef: Use either 90% lean or higher in this recipe.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.
Leave a Comment