Cooking frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot is just about the easiest way to get dinner on the table! This method results in super flavorful, juicy, and tender chicken breasts that you don’t even have to thaw. Perfect for quickly cooking chicken for another recipe, too. Check out my recipe for Instant Pot frozen chicken thighs, too!
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. Should you click through to that product and make a purchase, 40 Aprons will receive a small compensation, at no additional cost to you. Anything mentioned here is referred solely based on my experience and satisfaction with the company and/or product, and not because of any potential commission. I’ll identify any affiliate links when they appear within the post!
Why This Recipe Is So Good
- An Instant Pot makes cooking perfectly tender and seasoned chicken breast ridiculously easy. Just season your chicken, pour in some broth and cook.
- We love that this recipe uses frozen chicken breasts — no thawing needed! There’s almost no prep when it comes to cooking your chicken breasts in an Instant Pot.
- This method is perfect for cooking chicken for dinner, but also for recipes that require cooked chicken. We love it for meal prep, too!
How To Make Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with all-purpose seasoning or salt and pepper.
- Place the trivet in Instant Pot, then pour in the chicken broth. Place the chicken breasts on the trivet, then close the lid. Turn the vent to sealed.
- Cook on Manual High Pressure for 10-15 minutes. After the time is up, let naturally release 5 minutes then Quick Release remaining pressure.
- Serve as is or use in a recipe that calls for cooked chicken.
Top Tips For Making
- For 6-8 ounce breasts, about 10 minutes should make the chicken nice and tender. 11 minutes will make the chicken just a bit more firm. For a 9-10 ounce breast, cook for 13 minutes, and 15 minutes for 12 ounces.
- If using all-purpose seasoning, don’t use salt, otherwise, your chicken will be too salty.
More Easy Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Air Fryer Tater Tots
- 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Dal
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Italian Dressing Chicken
- Creamy Instant Pot Beef Pasta
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breast
- Instant Pot
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tbsp all-purpose seasoning or salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with seasoning or salt and pepper.
- Place trivet in Instant Pot. Pour in chicken broth. Place chicken breasts on trivet. Close lid and turn vent to sealed.
- Cook on Manual High Pressure for 10-15 minutes (see notes). After time is up, let naturally release 5 minutes then Quick Release remaining pressure.
- Serve or use in a recipe that calls for cooked chicken.
- Cook Times
- 6-8 ounce chicken breasts: Cook for 9-10 minutes.
- 9-10 ounce chicken breasts: Cook for 12 minutes.
- 12-ounce chicken breast: Cook for 14 minutes.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Cheryl Malik is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind the healthy, flavorful, family friendly recipes at 40 Aprons. She’s been a blogger for 10+ years and is known for her delicious recipes and detailed recipe instructions. Cheryl is a mom of three who lives in Memphis, TN.