Cooking frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot is just about the easiest way to get dinner on the table! This method results in super flavorful, juicy, and tender chicken breasts that you don’t even have to thaw. Perfect for quickly cooking chicken for another recipe, too. Check out my recipe for Instant Pot frozen chicken thighs, too!
Why This Recipe Is So Good
- An Instant Pot makes cooking perfectly tender and seasoned chicken breast ridiculously easy. Just season your chicken, pour in some broth and cook.
- We love that this recipe uses frozen chicken breasts — no thawing needed! There’s almost no prep when it comes to cooking your chicken breasts in an Instant Pot.
- This method is perfect for cooking chicken for dinner, but also for recipes that require cooked chicken. We love it for meal prep, too!
How To Make It
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with all-purpose seasoning or salt and pepper.
- Place the trivet in Instant Pot, then pour in the chicken broth. Place the chicken breasts on the trivet, then close the lid. Turn the vent to sealed.
- Cook on Manual High Pressure for 10-15 minutes. After the time is up, let naturally release 5 minutes then Quick Release remaining pressure.
- Serve as is or use in a recipe that calls for cooked chicken.
- For 6-8 ounce breasts, about 10 minutes should make the chicken nice and tender. 11 minutes will make the chicken just a bit more firm. For a 9-10 ounce breast, cook for 13 minutes, and 15 minutes for 12 ounces.
- If using all-purpose seasoning, don’t use salt, otherwise, your chicken will be too salty.
More Easy Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Air Fryer Tater Tots
- 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Dal
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Italian Dressing Chicken
- Creamy Instant Pot Beef Pasta
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tbsp all-purpose seasoning or salt and pepper to taste
- Instant Pot
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with seasoning or salt and pepper.
- Place trivet in Instant Pot. Pour in chicken broth. Place chicken breasts on trivet. Close lid and turn vent to sealed.
- Cook on Manual High Pressure for 10-15 minutes (see notes). After time is up, let naturally release 5 minutes then Quick Release remaining pressure.
- Serve or use in a recipe that calls for cooked chicken.
- Cook Times
- 6-8 ounce chicken breasts: Cook for 9-10 minutes.
- 9-10 ounce chicken breasts: Cook for 12 minutes.
- 12-ounce chicken breast: Cook for 14 minutes.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.