The Instant Pot makes tender and delicious black beans with NO SOAKING in just about 1 hour total. They’re easy to customize with different seasonings, and this recipe is great for use in other soups, with rice, in burgers, or even in brownies. You’ll never make dried black beans any other way, guaranteed.
Why These Beans Are So Good
- These black beans made in the Instant Pot are so deliciously tender and flavorful!
- This recipe is so easy to customize. Just switch out the seasonings, and you have the perfect beans for tacos, soup, chili, whatever!
- With only a few ingredients, these are the perfect easy side dish. You probably already have everything in your pantry and fridge!
How To Make Black Beans in the Instant Pot
- Rinse beans well. Set Instant Pot to Saute mode. Add the oil, then add the garlic and onion. Saute until the beans are softened.
- Add the water or stock, then the beans. Secure the lid, and cook on manual high pressure for 35 minutes. (If your beans have been soaked, only cook 15 minutes manual pressure.)
- Do not release pressure when time is up! Let naturally release.
- After natural release, stir in the seasoning of your choice and salt to taste.
Soaking vs. Not Soaking
There’s a common reason for soaking dry beans before cooking: it’s said that this helps release some of the gases before eating… making digestion either!
I love soaking beans for this reason AND…
It takes WAY less time to cook when you soak your beans ahead of time.
In fact, if you soak your black beans before cooking them in the Instant Pot, it will only take 8 MINUTES to cook, rather than 35! Crazy, right?!
So whether you choose to soak or not to soak, make sure you change your cooking time depending. And if you do soak, soak overnight, about 10-12 hours.
Top Tips For Making
- You can add any seasoning to your beans to fit your recipe or meal! Try all-purpose seasoning, taco seasoning, or chipotle powder.
- If your seasoning does not have any salt in it, you can add it at the same time as the water or stock. If it does contain salt, wait until the end, otherwise the beans will not cook properly.
More Easy Recipes
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breast
- Refried Black Beans
- Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- Vegan Chili
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Instant Pot Black BeansGO PREMIUM – AD FREE + MEAL PLANS
- Instant Pot
- 1 pound dried black beans rinsed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 medium white onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 5 cups water or stock
- 1 tablespoon seasoning see notes
- salt to taste
- If you're soaking your black beans (totally optional!), soak them in cool water overnight, about 10-12 hours. Drain when ready to cook.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode. Add oil, then garlic and onion. Saute until softened, stirring regularly, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock and black beans. Secure lid.
- For unsoaked beans: Cook on manual high pressure for 35 minutes.
- For soaked beans: Cook on manual high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Do not release pressure when time is up. Let naturally release until the silver pin drops. After natural release, stir in seasoning and salt to taste.