Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
This Instant Pot Mississippi pot roast is just too good! This super flavorful dish is made quickly and easily in the Instant Pot, with only 5 ingredients! Making this dish in the Instant Pot means melt-in-your-mouth tender pot roast with less than an hour of cooking time. One of my favorite recipes!
🥩 What Makes This Recipe So Good
- You’ve probably had pot roast before, but I’m willing to bet you haven’t had post roast like this before! Mississippi pot roast is FULL of flavor, using two spice blends to season the meat and cooking jus.
- Since we’re cooking this in the Instant Pot, it’s ready to eat in a fraction of the time that other cooking methods take. We’re talking roughly an hour in the pressure cooker instead of 4 hours in the oven or 8 hours in the slow cooker.
- What do you serve with Mississippi pot roast? Creamy mashed potatoes are an absolute must. I also like to add roasted carrots and tender green beans. Cornbread goes really well with it, too!
👩🏼🍳 Chef’s Tips
- When you’re choosing a chuck roast to use for this recipe, I recommend looking for one that has a really good marble to it. That marbling is fat, and it makes the meat super tender and flavorful. You’ll discard the fat when you shred the roast after cooking, so don’t worry about dealing with a lot of chewy pieces.
- If you’re a big fan of pepperoncini, add some of the juice from the jar to the Instant Pot with the water. More of that pepper flavor will infuse with the roast that way. Keep in mind if you’re using hot pepperoncini that the juice will add another layer of heat!
- Leftover roast makes delicious sandwiches, so get excited for tomorrow’s lunch! For the best leftovers, let the shredded roast cool completely, then refrigerate it with the jus in an airtight container. It’ll keep up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop!
🥩 Beef – It’s What’s for Dinner!
- Beef Tips And Gravy
- Ground Beef and Gravy Over Mashed Potatoes
- Keto Beef Stew (Low Carb, Gluten Free)
- Beef Pot Pie
- Crispy Beef Schnitzel
- Creamy Rotel Pasta with Ground Beef
Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
For the Pot Roast
- 1 chuck roast approximately 2 ½-3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil avocado oil, olive oil, etc.
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 1-ounce packet au jus gravy mix
- 1 .4-ounce packet ranch dressing mix approximately 11 grams
- 6-7 pepperoncini peppers mild or hot
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 4 pats, each ½ tablespoon
To Serve (Optional)
- mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower
- Instant Pot
- Large wooden spoon or silicone spatula
- Cutting board
- two forks
- ladle or large spoon
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté mode. When Instant Pot is hot, add oil and continue heating until oil is hot and shimmery.
- When oil is hot, add chuck roast. Sear roast 6 minutes or until well-browned, then flip roast over and sear on other side 6 additional minutes. When both sides are well-browned, transfer chuck roast to large plate and set aside.
- With Instant Pot still set to Sauté, pour in 1 ½ cups water to deglaze pot. Use wooden spoon or spatula to scrape up any browned bits that might be stuck to bottom of pot and stir to incorporate.
- Sprinkle packet of au jus gravy mix into pot and stir well to combine. Once combined, return seared chuck roast to Instant Pot. Note: roast does not need to be fully submerged in water.
- Sprinkle ranch dressing mix over chuck roast, then top roast with whole pepperoncini peppers. Place pats of butter directly on top of pepperoncini.
- Secure lid on Instant Pot with vent in Sealing position. Set Instant Pot to Manual High Pressure for 55 minutes. Pot will pressurize, then cook time will begin.
- When 55 minute cook time ends, immediately (and carefully) Quick Release pressure. Remove lid from pot and set aside.
- Use tongs to carefully remove chuck roast from Instant Pot and transfer to cutting board. Do not discard cooking jus from pot.
- Using 2 forks, shred chuck roast into small-to-medium-sized pieces. Pick out and discard any large pieces of fat. Continue process until entire roast has been shredded, then set roast aside.
- Skim as much fat as possible from cooking jus in Instant Pot and discard. When satisfied, return shredded chuck roast to Instant Pot and stir well to fully coat meat in jus.
- Divide pot roast into desired portions and serve warm with mashed potatoes or other preferred sides.
- Make it Dairy Free: Use a dairy-free butter.
- Make it Keto: Be sure your ranch dressing mix and au jus gravy mix don’t have any added sugars (or sugar alternatives) or starches that aren’t keto-friendly.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.
Leave a Comment