This Crockpot potato soup is rich and creamy, loaded with toppings like bacon and cheese, and is easy to make in the slow cooker! A perfect soup for fall and winter.
Why This Crockpot Potato Soup is So Good!
- An easy recipe that’s rich, filling and so tasty!
- Easy to make gluten and dairy-free.
- The slow cooker means hands-off cooking – just let it do its thing!
How to Make This Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe
- Fry the bacon and set aside when crisp.
- Pour off the bacon grease, all but 1 tbsp. Add the onion and cook it ’til soft then add garlic and cook ’til fragrant. Add to a slow cooker along with potatoes and chicken stock.
- Cook for 3 hours on high until the potatoes are tender.
- Heat 3 tbsp bacon grease in a saucepan. Sprinkle the flour over and whisk to make a roux. When golden, add in 2 cups of milk. Whisk til thickened and add to the crockpot.
- Mash the soup with a masher ’til desired consistency. Add salt pepper cheddar and sour cream and cook on high for 30 minutes. Serve.
- Make it gluten-free by using gluten-free all-purpose flour in place of the regular all-purpose flour.
- Use cassava flour to make it gluten-free and grain-free.
- For dairy-free, use dairy-free yogurt, or coconut cream in place of the sour cream. Use almond or another plant-based milk in the place of dairy milk.
You’ll Love This Easy and Creamy Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe!
This is the perfect soup to enjoy as the weather gets cooler. It’s filling and full of rich flavor, it’s the perfect comfort food. It’s so simple to make with basic ingredients so it’s easy to whip up whenever you fancy.
Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup
This soup is super delicious by itself, but you can make it even tastier by adding some simple toppings:
- shredded cheese
- green onion
Top Tips for Making Crockpot Potato Soup
- Yukon gold potatoes are preferable in this recipe.
- Remember to keep the bacon grease aside, it really adds flavor to the soup.
- Keep the soup warm in the crockpot until you are ready to serve it.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days, it also freezes well.
Be Sure to Check Out These Other Soup Recipes
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Crockpot Potato Soup
- 6 slices bacon diced
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease or butter or oil
- 1/4 cup flour Use gluten free all purpose or cassava flour, for gluten free or grain free.
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups milk dairy milk, or plant based milk like almond, warmed
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream or yogurt or coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons sea salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup onion diced
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off the bacon grease into a small heat-proof bowl and reserve. Return 1 tablespoon bacon grease to the skillet, then add the onion. Cook until softened, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add onion-garlic mixture to Crockpot. Add diced potatoes and chicken stock.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours on high heat, about 5 hours on low heat, until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons bacon grease in a medium saucepan. Sprinkle the flour over and whisk well to make a paste. Cook over medium heat until golden, then slowly add in 2 cups milk. Whisk vigorously and cook until thickened, a couple minutes. Pour mixture into Crockpot.
- Mash the soup with a masher til desired consistency. Add the salt, pepper, cheddar, and sour cream. Cook on high for 30 minutes. Ladle into serving bowls then top with additional cheddar, crisp bacon pieces, green onions, and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve.