This Philly cheesesteak casserole is super easy, extra cheesy, and delicious! Savory ground beef, sweet bell peppers, and tangy cream cheese create the base for this simple recipe. This Philly cheesesteak casserole is topped with a layer of provolone cheese, then baked to melty, cheesy perfection!
What Makes This Philly Cheesesteak Casserole So Good
- It has all of the ingredients of a classic Philly cheesesteak, minus the bread! This dish is naturally low-carb and keto. Enjoy this Philly cheesesteak casserole with a side of veggies or on its own for a delicious keto meal.
- It’s super easy to throw together! Cook the ground beef, add in the veggies, then stir in the cream cheese and heavy cream. Transfer everything over to a baking dish, top with cheese and bake. Remove this simple casserole from the oven once the cheese is brown and bubbly, and enjoy!
- It’s a total crowd pleaser! I love whipping this Philly cheesesteak casserole together for friends and family. This recipe gets rave reviews every time, and no one will ever guess how easy it was to make!
Key Ingredients for Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
Ground Beef – I used 80% lean ground beef for this recipe, however you can use any kind you’d like. Though remember to remove as much of the rendered fat from the ground beef as possible. If too much liquid fat gets left behind, this casserole could end up soggy and simply not as good. Also, remember to season your ground beef with a hefty pinch of salt while cooking! The salt gives the entire casserole a boost of flavor.
Cream Cheese – Just a bit of cream cheese amps up the richness of this casserole. While not traditional to a classic Philly cheesesteak, cream cheese is somewhat of a secret ingredient in this recipe.
Provolone Cheese – Do not skimp on the provolone cheese in this savory casserole! A thick layer of melty provolone cheese takes this entire dish to the next level. I love using an entire 8 slices atop my Philly cheesesteak casserole. The second anyone gets a peek at this top layer of bubbly cheese, they immediately ask for a plateful!
- Once done, leave the casserole in the oven on high broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Broiling will give your Philly cheesesteak casserole a decadent golden brown crust! Though keep an eye on it while it broils, since it can burn quickly.
- If you’d like an even cheesier casserole, insert a layer on sliced provolone cheese in the center. Do this by transferring half of the ground beef mixture to a baking dish then topping it with 6 to 8 slices of provolone cheese. Then top that with the remaining ground beef mixture and a final layer of provolone cheese – holy cheesy goodness!
- Let the casserole sit, out of the oven, for about 5 minutes before serving. This few minutes left to rest will allow the beef and veggies to soak up the heavy cream and cream cheese. It will also give the Philly cheesesteak casserole enough time to set, making it easier to scoop and serve!
Other Delicious Casserole Recipes
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
- Cornbread Casserole
- Poppy Seed Chicken
- Cauliflower Au Gratin
- Sweet Potato Casserole
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Large skillet
- 9×13 baking dish
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 bell peppers chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6-8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Add ground beef and a pinch of salt to a large skillet over medium heat, cook until crumbled and meat is no longer pink.
- Drain fat from skillet then add in the bell peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly soft.
- Remove from heat and add in the cream cheese, heavy cream, and salt – mix to combine.
- Transfer to a 9×13 baking dish, top with provolone cheese slices, and bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- I used 80% lean ground beef, though anywhere between 80% – 90% will work in this recipe.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!