The air fryer makes perfect ballpark-style hot dogs in just a few minutes, with a golden, lightly toasted bun to take it all to the next level! Easy and super quick, perfect for summer entertaining or a super simple weeknight dinner!
When I think about summer barbecues from my childhood, I always think about hot dogs. I have so many fond memories of warm, perfectly cooked hot dogs in thick buns, loaded with ketchup and mustard. This recipe makes those summertime hot dogs super easy to throw together for picnics or just for lunch!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Hot dogs – You can use any type of hot dog with this method, including beef, pork, kosher, turkey, or veggie.
Hot dog buns – Cooking your buns in the air fryer helps them get a little crispy.
How To Make Hot Dogs in the Air Fryer
The full recipe is below, but here you’ll find all the steps for making this recipe perfectly the first and 100th time, along with useful tips and info!
Preheat the air fryer at 400º F for about 3-5 minutes.
Add the hot dogs and cook for 4 minutes.
Open the the air fryer basket. Using tongs, remove the hot dogs and put them inside the buns.
Put the hot dogs inside the buns in the air fryer basket and cook for another 2 minutes.
Remove and top however you like! (See my suggestions below.)
Some of Our Fave Toppings
If you have the space, set up a hot dog bar with a variety of different toppings and condiments. If not, you can do what I did and top each hot dog differently. That way everyone can have one or two (or more) hot dogs of their choice!
- Ketchup and mustard
- Ketchup, mustard, and relish
- Chili, cheese, and white onion
- Chicago dog: Yellow mustard, white onion, relish, dill pickle spear, tomato, chili peppers, and celery salt
- Pico, jalapeno slices, and cotija
- Sauerkraut and spicy mustard
- Yellow mustard and red onions
Top Tips For Making
- Use gluten free buns if you are on a gluten free diet.
- If you’re on keto, you can use lettuce cups, store-bought keto hot dog buns, or make your own.
More Delicious Summer Recipes
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob with Honey Butter
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- 3-Ingredient Watermelon Margarita Recipe
- Asparagus Salad
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Air Fryer Hot Dogs
The air fryer makes the perfect hot dogs with a crispy bun.
- 7 hot dogs
- 7 hot dog buns
Preheat air fryer at 400º F for 3-5 minutes. Add hot dogs and cook 4 minutes at 400º F.
Open basket and use tongs to remove hot dogs and place inside hot dog buns.
Place hot dogs inside hot dog buns back in air fryer. Cook another 2 minutes at 400º F. Remove and top with whatever
- Topping ideas: ketchup and mustard; ketchup, mustard, and relish; chili, cheese, and white onion; Chicago dog: yellow mustard, white onion, relish, dill pickle spear, tomato, chili peppers, and celery salt; pico de gallo, jalapeno slices, and cotija; sauerkraut and spicy mustard; yellow mustard and red onions
- Gluten free: Use gluten free buns
- Keto: Use lettuce cups, store-bought keto hot dog buns, or make your own