This Mexican chicken casserole is wholesome and comforting! Layers of crispy tortilla chips, Mexican shredded chicken, and plenty of cheese make up this delicious dish. Throw this simple, crowd-pleasing meal together for friends and family!
What Makes This Mexican Chicken Casserole So Good
- Each layer is as delicious as the last! The base of this casserole is an even layer of crispy, crushed tortilla chips. Then, that’s followed up with seasoned chicken and veggies, which is then topped off with plenty of Mexican shredded cheese!
- It’s super simple to make and comes together in just a few easy steps! Simply layer your Mexican chicken casserole, then pop it in the oven until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- It’s a complete meal in just one dish! Loaded with flavor, veggies, and protein – this single casserole has it all. Enjoy it on its own with fresh, sliced avocado and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro!
Key Ingredients for Mexican Chicken Casserole
Shredded Chicken – I followed this super simple Instant Pot method to cook and shred my chicken. However, any shredded chicken will work in this recipe! The chicken offers great texture to the overall dish, and a healthy boost of protein. If you prefer chopped chicken, you can dice your chicken into bite-sized cubes for this recipe instead.
Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes – A can of fire roasted tomatoes give this Mexican chicken casserole a kick of delicious smoky flavor. However, if you can’t find fire roasted tomatoes, you can use a can of regular diced tomatoes instead.
Shredded Mexican Cheese – Mexican cheese blends are usually a combination of Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese. If you prefer, you can combine those two cheeses on your own and use them in this recipe! Also, an extra sprinkling of queso fresco would make a great addition to the cheeses in this dish.
- Leave the Mexican chicken casserole to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving! Casseroles tend to trap heat, and will be inedibly hot straight from the oven. The filling will also need a few minutes to set before slicing!
- To make this casserole low-carb, simply omit the chips, beans, and corn! Even without those ingredients, this recipe is still delicious. If taking this option, I recommend adding in some extra cheese to make it that much more tasty!
- You can freeze this Mexican chicken casserole for up to one month before baking! To do this, prepare as instructed then cover with plastic wrap and store in the freezer. When ready to eat, remove from the freezer to defrost then pop into a 350° Fahrenheit oven for 30-35 minutes!
Other Delicious Casseroles You Should Try
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Cheesy King Ranch Casserole
- Eggs Benedict Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Large bowl
- 9×13 baking dish
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can corn drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- fresh cilantro for serving
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 13×9-inch baking dish.
- Mix together the shredded chicken, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, diced green chiles, salt, garlic powder, and cumin in a large bowl.
- Line the bottom of baking dish with half of the crushed tortilla chips, then layer half of the chicken mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle chicken mixture with half of the cheese, then repeat those same layers once more – until no ingredients remain.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Make it Gluten-Free: Use corn tortilla chips and ensure that all other ingredients used do not contain traces of gluten.
- Make it Dairy-Free: Use 2 cups of dairy-free cheese in place of the regular cheese, or leave the cheese out altogether!
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!