Cheesy ham and potato casserole is the perfect simple weeknight dinner! A rich and creamy cheese sauce pairs beautifully with savory ham and buttery potatoes. With just a few easy steps and ingredients, you’ll have yourself a delicious and cozy meal.
What Makes This Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole Recipe So Good
- It comes together in a few easy steps! Melt your cheese sauce, then layer everything in a dish, bake, and enjoy!
- It’s warm, cheesy, gooey, and delicious. This cheesy ham and potato casserole will be your new favorite comfort dish, I promise.
- Casseroles in general are great for a crowd, but this one specifically is excellent. Bring cheesy ham and potato casserole to your next potluck for a delicious dish everyone will love.
Key Ingredients for Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
Ham – This recipe is a great way to use up leftover ham! If you’re not using leftover ham, purchase a fully cooked boneless ham from the store.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese – I prefer a sharp cheddar cheese for this cheesy ham and potato casserole. But if sharp isn’t your thing, go ahead and use a medium or mild cheddar. If you want to make things super easy on yourself, buy it pre-shredded!
Potatoes – I used and LOVE Yukon gold potatoes for their creamy and buttery flavor. You can use any type of potatoes you’d like, though. White potatoes would also taste great in this casserole!
- You can prep this casserole ahead of time and bake it later on. Assemble the entire casserole in your baking dish, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it. When you’re ready to bake it, remove the plastic wrap, cover it with foil and cook as directed.
- I sliced my potatoes about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Don’t slice them more than 1/4 inch thick, otherwise they might not cook fully through. You can even dice your potatoes into 1/4 inch cubes if you’d like!
- When making the cheese sauce for this ham and potato casserole, let the milk and flour mixture thicken before removing from the heat. If the sauce doesn’t seem thick enough just yet, don’t worry, adding the cheese will help with that.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
- Eggs Benedict Casserole
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- The BEST Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Mom’s Best Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
- 9×9 baking dish
- Small saucepan
- Aluminum Foil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour see Notes
- 2 pounds potatoes sliced, divided, see Notes
- 1 ½ cups ham fully cooked, divided
- 1 ½ cups milk see Notes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in chopped onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add in all-purpose flour. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in milk. Stir and reduce heat. Simmer until sauce thickens, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, then stir in cheese until melted.
- Place half of sliced potatoes in baking dish. Top potato layer with half of cubed ham. Repeat layers for remaining potatoes and ham. Pour cheese sauce over top layer. Top with additional 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
- Cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Remove foil and cook for another 20-25 minutes, until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Types of Potatoes: Yukon gold and yellow potatoes work best in this recipe, though any white potato will work.
- Milk: I used whole milk for an incredibly rich cheese sauce, but you can use 2% milk if you’d like.
- Make it Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour in the cheese sauce.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!