This poppy seed chicken is a cheesy, creamy dream! The best part is, it takes little time and effort to make. Serve it alongside roasted veggies for a simple, yet delicious meal.
What Makes This Poppy Seed Chicken Recipe So Good
- It’s so easy to make! Mix all ingredients, sprinkle with crushed crackers and let your oven do all the hard work.
- It’s incredibly rich and creamy. This poppy seed chicken recipe is loaded with sharp parmesan cheese and tangy sour cream. Then, it’s topped off with crackers for a pleasant crunch!
- It’s perfect for a crowd! Bring this tasty casserole to your next potluck. Or, make it at the start of your week and enjoy poppy seed chicken leftovers all week long – YUM!
Key Ingredients for Poppy Seed Chicken
Cooked Chicken Breast – Either buy pre-cooked chicken breast from the store, or make it yourself. I boiled mine in an inch of water over medium heat for 12 minutes. Then I removed it from the water, let it cool, and shredded it with two forks.
Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup – A single can of condensed soup does SO much for this poppy seed chicken recipe. It brings everything together with its creamy texture. The soup also contributes a ton of flavor, leaving little work for you – love that!
Butter Crackers – I’m a firm believer that texture is just as important as flavor when it comes to cooking. The butter crackers are what bring this dish together. Crush them, mix with melted butter, and sprinkle on top for a very important crunch.
- If you really LOVE cheese (who doesn’t?), sprinkle some extra shredded parmesan on top. In addition to the crackers, a touch more cheese will take this cozy poppy seed chicken to the next level.
- Add less or more poppy seeds to your preference. I’m personally a big poppy seed fan and sprinkle a teaspoon or two extra over my finished dish.
- You can prep this ahead of time and freeze it for up to three months. If freezing, assemble everything except for the cracker topping. When it’s time to bake, remove the poppy seed chicken casserole from the freezer, thaw it in the fridge overnight, add crushed crackers, and bake as directed.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mom’s Best Tuna Noodle Casserole
- The BEST Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Poppy Seed Chicken
- 9×9 baking dish
- Large bowl
- 1 ½ pounds cooked chicken breast see Notes
- 8 ounces sour cream see Notes
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 ½ cups butter crackers crushed
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Mix together the cooked chicken, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, parmesan cheese and poppy seeds in a large bowl. Transfer to a 9×9 baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the crushed crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle crackers on top of the chicken mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cooked Chicken Breast: The chicken can be shredded or cubed. Pieces should be no larger than 1-2 inches.
- Sour Cream: For a lighter option, you can sub plain greek yogurt for the sour cream.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!