This poppy seed chicken is a cheesy, creamy dream! The best part is, it takes little time and effort to make. Serve it alongside roasted veggies for a simple, yet delicious meal.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- It’s so easy to make! Mix all ingredients, sprinkle with crushed crackers and let your oven do all the hard work.
- It’s incredibly rich and creamy. This poppy seed chicken recipe is loaded with sharp parmesan cheese and tangy sour cream. Then, it’s topped off with crackers for a pleasant crunch!
- It’s perfect for a crowd! Bring this tasty casserole to your next potluck. Or, make it at the start of your week and enjoy poppy seed chicken leftovers all week long – YUM!
Cooked Chicken Breast – Either buy pre-cooked chicken breast from the store, or make it yourself. I boiled mine in an inch of water over medium heat for 12 minutes. Then I removed it from the water, let it cool, and shredded it with two forks.
Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup – A single can of condensed soup does SO much for this poppy seed chicken recipe. It brings everything together with its creamy texture. The soup also contributes a ton of flavor, leaving little work for you – love that!
Butter Crackers – I’m a firm believer that texture is just as important as flavor when it comes to cooking. The butter crackers are what bring this dish together. Crush them, mix with melted butter, and sprinkle on top for a very important crunch.
- If you really LOVE cheese (who doesn’t?), sprinkle some extra shredded parmesan on top. In addition to the crackers, a touch more cheese will take this cozy poppy seed chicken to the next level.
- Add less or more poppy seeds to your preference. I’m personally a big poppy seed fan and sprinkle a teaspoon or two extra over my finished dish.
- You can prep this ahead of time and freeze it for up to three months. If freezing, assemble everything except for the cracker topping. When it’s time to bake, remove the poppy seed chicken casserole from the freezer, thaw it in the fridge overnight, add crushed crackers, and bake as directed.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mom’s Best Tuna Noodle Casserole
- The BEST Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
- 1 ½ pounds cooked chicken breast see Notes
- 8 ounces sour cream see Notes
- 1 10.75-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 ½ cups butter crackers crushed
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 9×9 baking dish
- Large bowl
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Mix together the cooked chicken, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, parmesan cheese and poppy seeds in a large bowl. Transfer to a 9×9 baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the crushed crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle crackers on top of the chicken mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cooked Chicken Breast: The chicken can be shredded or cubed. Pieces should be no larger than 1-2 inches.
- Sour Cream: For a lighter option, you can sub plain greek yogurt for the sour cream.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.