This cheesy king ranch casserole is rich and indulgent! It’s the best simple meal to throw together on a busy weeknight or when you’re craving something wholesome and satisfying. Layers of cheese, chicken, and tortillas are baked until brown and bubbly to create this crowd-pleasing dish!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s lusciously cheesy and delicious! When I say cheesy, I mean cheesy. Aside from the shredded cheddar cheese, two cans of condensed soup add to the richness of this casserole.
- It’s the perfect dish to bring to a potluck or serve to a crowd! This king ranch casserole recipe bakes up about 10 servings making it the perfect meal for a large group. Also, this casserole makes for delicious leftovers as well!
- It takes just 10 minutes to prep, then the oven does the rest of the work for you! That’s right, this cheesy and delicious casserole requires barely any effort to make. With just one skillet, a baking dish, and 10 minutes you’ll have a comforting home-cooked meal.
Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup – This can of condensed soup contributes to the richness and coziness of this recipe! Using canned soup also takes much of the work out of throwing this meal together. Thick and creamy condensed cream of chicken soup gives this casserole its signature creamy texture while packing in extra delicious flavor.
Shredded Chicken – I used this easy method to shred and prepare chicken for this king ranch casserole recipe. You can also purchase pre-cooked and shredded chicken at the grocery store to make this already-simple recipe even easier to make.
Corn Tortillas – Layers of corn tortillas add structure and texture to this casserole. The tortillas also soak up all of the delicious flavors in this recipe when baked. You can either slice the tortillas into halves, fourths, or six triangles to stack into your casserole. I prefer smaller tortilla triangles for a more even distribution throughout the dish, but go with whatever you prefer!
- This cheesy king ranch casserole can be enjoyed on its own or with a side of veggies for a complete meal! I shared this delicious meal with family and despite the presence of a variety of side dishes, everyone just reached for second and third helpings of this indulgent casserole.
- You can prep this casserole ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to one day before baking. To do this, assemble the casserole as instructed then cover it tightly with plastic wrap. When ready to bake, remove the plastic wrap and bake as directed in the recipe!
- Feel free to layer this king ranch casserole however you’d like! You have the option to split the filling ingredients into three or four parts for even more delicious layers.
Other Delicious Casserole Recipes
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
- Cornbread Casserole
- Poppy Seed Chicken
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Pork Chop Casserole
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- The BEST Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 10.5-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 10.5-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 10.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 12 corn tortillas sliced into triangles
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Large skillet
- 9×13 baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add in the onion and bell pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until slightly soft.
- Remove skillet from heat and add in the condensed cream of chicken soup, condensed cream of mushroom soup, diced tomatoes with green chilies, chili powder, dried oregano, and shredded chicken. Mix until well combined.
- Place half of the tortillas in an even layer in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Top with half of the chicken mixture then half of the cheddar cheese. Repeat until not ingredients remain.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Store any leftover king ranch casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, either microwave or place in the oven at 350° Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until warm throughout.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.