Cleanse your body and jump-start weight loss after the holidays with this totally doable One Day Detox. The quickest and easiest way to detoxify, purify, rejuvenate and boost immunity!
Whether you just got back from a vacation or want to prime your bod for the season of indulgence with a little cleanse, doing a one-day detox can be just what your body needs to get back on track. Think of it as a reset button – a little push towards feeling better stat!
Apart from losing weight, detoxing can also help you clean your gut and boost immunity as well as heart function.
Wondering how to go about it? Here is a simple guide for a full detox day all mapped out from the time you wake up till bedtime! You will see that you can get through it without much effort.
1. Rise and Shine: The temptation to head straight to the coffee maker is big, we know. But for the sake of detox, why not try a glass of warm water and lemon juice as a healthy pick-me up! Drinking warm or even hot lemon water upon waking up in the morning does not only help get your digestive system moving, but also gives your immune system a boost of vitamin C and gives you a head start on your daily water intake. During detox, hydration is key and 3-4 liters would be ideal! Set an hourly timer on your phone to remind you to drink a glass of water or tea.
2. Yoga before breakfast: When detoxing, an intense workout isn’t recommended. However, it is important to get the blood flowing in one way or another. You will notice, that a simple yoga sequence like these easy yoga positions will improve your mood and make you feel energized.
3. Breakfast: Start your day with a light meal in the 300 calories range, like this Blueberry Muffins Smoothie or a serving of PB & J Chia Pudding. You will find that you will feel satisfied and full of energy.
4. Midmorning: Let’s treat our bodies to some extra antioxidants by opting for Matcha green tea instead of coffee. Just like coffee, it has been shown to boost your metabolism but will make you feel less jitterish. Read up more in our All About Matcha post. If you’re feeling you can’t make it to lunch without a snack, opt for low sugar fruit or some nuts. Some almonds or some berries with Greek yogurt.
5. Walk away from your desk: Try to move throughout the day. If you can’t get up from the desk, take a moment to do some desk stretches throughout the day. Remind yourself to give your eyes a screen break. Only look at the screen when you’re actually typing. When brainstorming, thinking, or planning, give your eyes a break.
6. Lunch hour: Dodge the early afternoon slump by eating a light lunch. Think a light lunch salad with healthy fats paired with lean protein like this Fuji Apple Salad with Chicken. Avoid eating in front of your computer or while checking your phone. It’s actually best to eat away from your desk and really focus on your food. Once lunch is done, take a small 15-minute walk to aid digestion.
7. Snack time: When it comes to afternoon snacks, there’s nothing quite like a glass of wellness juice made with beets, lime, and ginger for an instant boost of energy. It will tide you over right until dinner.
8. Unwind: While Netflix sounds like the perfect plan most nights, let’s try and find ways to REALLY treat yourself! A great way to truly unwind after a stressful work day is to hit your local spa for a little massage or a few rounds of Finnish sauna. Not in the budget? Pick any of our Self-Care Activities.
9. Dinner: When it comes to the winning dinner combination, go for lean protein and fresh veggies. This easy garlic shrimp is packed with protein and only takes 5 minutes to prepare. If you’re vegan, try our Chana Masala over cauliflower rice or make some veggie fajitas instead.
Just like during lunch hour, avoid eating while watching shows or checking your Instagram feed. Take time to sit down at a table and really focus on enjoying your homecooked meal and you’ll find you will feel full way sooner than when eating distractedly.
10. Wind down: Make sure you get some quality sleep. Sleep is a powderfull tool for detoxing – plus it’s free! It aids weight loss, keeps stress levels low, and improves all-over health. To get to sleep easier, give Netflix a break and read a book (real paper), take a relaxing shower, or a hot bath. Most importantly, give yourself enough time to get a good night’s rest. Why not fit in a 5-minute meditation before bed?
One Day FAQ:
What should I eat on a detox day?
Eat lots of fiber – think fresh fruits (the lower in sugar the better) and vegetables (leafy greens are best), and pair them with lean protein.
Does a One Day Detox help lose belly fat?
A 1-day detox is a short-term intervention, like a reset button and does not necessarily lead to permanent weight loss. Working out consistently and eating clean long term is what will make you lose weight but detoxing is a great start.
Can you drink coffee while on a One Day Detox?
Detox experts argue that coffee can potentially increase your liver’s burden, so to play it safe you should eliminate it during detoxification. However, others say we needn’t surrender our java while detoxifying and that a cup or two can also provide health benefits. If you feel you can’t go without, opt for organic and definitely skip sugar and creamers.