Cleanse your body and jump-start weight loss after the holidays with this totally doable One Day Detox. The quickest and easiest way to detoxify, purify, rejuvenate and boost immunity!
Whether you just got back from a vacation or want to prime your bod for the season of indulgence with a little cleanse, doing a one-day detox can be just what your body needs to get back on track. Think of it as a reset button – a little push towards feeling better stat!
Apart from losing weight, detoxing can also help you clean your gut and boost immunity as well as heart function.
Wondering how to go about it? Here is a simple guide for a full detox day all mapped out from the time you wake up till bedtime! You will see that you can get through it without much effort.
1. Rise and Shine: Start your day off on the right note by drinking some hot water with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apart from giving your immune system a boost of vitamin C, this drink also helps to stimulate your digestive tract. Be sure to continue to drink water all throughout the day. Trust us, hydration is key to a healthy detox! Set a timer on your phone to remind you to drink a glass of water every hour.
2. Yoga before breakfast: When detoxing, an intense workout isn’t recommended. However, it is important to get the blood flowing in one way or another. If you’re feeling a little sluggish, we recommend some gentle, energizing yoga. These easy yoga positions are designed to detox the body and will help you feel energized for the rest of the day.
3. Breakfast: Start your day with a meal that will keep you feeling satisfied without weighing you down. Aim at a meal in the 300 calories range, like this Blueberry Muffins Smoothie or a serving of PB & J Chia Pudding.
4. Midmorning: Instead of ordering a cup of coffee, opt for Matcha green tea. Not only is it rich in antioxidants, but it has also been shown to boost your metabolism. Read up more in our All About Matcha post. If you’re feeling really hungry, grab a fiber-rich fruit snack like an apple, or enjoy a cup of low-sugar blueberries with some Greek yogurt.
5. Walk away: Try to move throughout the day. Get up from your desk frequently to take short walks around the office. If you can’t get up that often, take a moment to do some desk stretches throughout the day. Remind yourself to give your eyes a screen break by looking away from your computer. We like the 20-20-20 rule: Take your eyes off your screen every 20 minutes and look at a spot 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
6. Lunch hour: Dodge the afternoon slump by eating a light lunch that won’t weigh you down. We recommend a lunch salad with heart-healthy fats paired with some lean protein like this Fuji Apple Salad with Chicken. Eat away from your desk, put away your phone and focus on the delicious meal in front of you. Once lunch is done, take a small walk of 20 or 30 minutes.
7. Snack time: If you feel like you need something to tide you over until dinner, there’s nothing quite like a glass of wellness juice made with beets, lime, and ginger for an instant boost of energy.
8. Unwind: Before heading home for another evening of binging series, why not find a way to REALLY treat yourself! A great way to truly unwind and detox your body is to hit your local spa to get a little massage or spend some time in a sauna. Both will help to ease any tension in the body and offer relief to sore muscles or joints. Not in the budget? Pick any of our Self-Care Activities.
9. Dinner: This is the perfect time to relax with a healthy dinner full of lean protein and fresh veggies. This easy garlic shrimp is packed with protein and only takes 5 minutes to prepare. If you’re vegan, try our Chana Masala over cauliflower rice or make some veggie fajitas instead.
Now, we all like a TV Dinner. But instead of eating in front of the TV, sit down at a table to take the time to really enjoy your home-cooked meal. You’ll find that by focusing on your food you are way less likely to overeat.
10. Wind down: One of the best ways to detox the body is to make sure you get some quality sleep. Sleep is key to weight loss, keeping stress levels low, and achieving all-over health. Give Netflix a break and read a book (real paper), take a relaxing shower or a hot bath. Most importantly, give yourself enough time to get a good night’s rest. Why not fit in a 5-minute meditation before bed?
One Day FAQ:
What should I eat on a detox day?
Eat lots of fiber – think fresh fruits (the lower in sugar the better) and vegetables (leafy greens are best), and pair them with lean protein.
Does a One Day Detox help lose belly fat?
A 1-day detox is a short-term intervention, like a reset button and does not necessarily lead to permanent weight loss. Working out consistently and eating clean long term is what will make you lose weight but detoxing is a great start.
Can you drink coffee while on a One Day Detox?
Detox experts argue that coffee can potentially increase your liver’s burden, so to play it safe you should eliminate it during detoxification. However, others say we needn’t surrender our java while detoxifying and that a cup or two can also provide health benefits. If you feel you can’t go without, opt for organic and definitely skip sugar and creamers.