This recipe makes the very best blueberry smoothie, if not the best smoothie you’ve ever had! With vanilla extract, yogurt, and lemon zest, this simple fruity smoothie is positively delicious and oh so easy to make. Using fresh or frozen blueberries, this smoothie tastes almost too good to be healthy! Easy to make vegan or paleo by using non-dairy yogurt.
Nothing is better than an ice-cold smoothie when it’s hot out! This smoothie combines sweet and slightly acidic blueberries with creamy yogurt and milk, vanilla, a little lemon zest (optional, but totally recommended), and maple syrup or dates to up the sweetness. It’s the perfect spring and summer treat, but good for you, too!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Blueberries – Either fresh or frozen blueberries will work great. Sweet and sometimes just a little tart, blueberries perfectly complement the sweet creaminess of the other ingredients.
Yogurt – Use either plain or vanilla full-fat yogurt for your smoothie. Despite what diet fads have told us, full-fat yogurt is actually healthier for you!
Milk – We like either dairy or almond milk in our smoothies, but you can use whatever milk you have on hand or like best.
Vanilla extract – Sweet and slightly woody, vanilla enhances the sweetness of the blueberries without overpowering them.
Lemon zest – You can omit the lemon zest, but a little tart citrus gives this smoothie an extra burst of flavor.
How To Make Blueberry Smoothies
The full recipe is below, but here you’ll find all the steps for making this recipe perfectly the first and 100th time, along with useful tips and info!
Blend all of the ingredients (except the ice, which you’ll only use if you’re using fresh blueberries).
Add the ice once everything is nice and smooth.
Blitz until you no longer hear chunks of ice — this will prevent the ice from melting at all and keep it ice-cold!
Top Tips For Making
- To blend your smoothie, I highly recommend a high-speed blender like a Vitamix. It just gets things done faster and easier!
- For a vegan or paleo smoothie, use non-dairy milk and yogurt.
More Perfect Summertime Recipes
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob with Honey Butter
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
This sweet and creamy smoothie is the perfect way to chill out.
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen, about 5 ounces
- 1/2 cup full-fat yogurt plain or vanilla flavored
- 1 cup milk or almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- lemon zest 1 large pinch or about 1/4 teaspoon, optional
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 1-2 pitted dates
- a couple pieces of ice if using fresh blueberries
- fresh mint leaves for garnish, optional
Blend all of the ingredients except ice (only use ice if using fresh blueberries).
Add the ice once everything is smooth. Continue blending until you no longer hear chunks of ice.
- Blender: A high-speed blender like a Vitamix is recommended.
- Vegan or paleo: Use non-dairy milk and yogurt.