This Instant Pot potato salad is rich, creamy, and tangy like traditional potato salad, but made so much easier thanks to the Instant Pot. The potatoes are impossibly creamy, and with flavors of dill pickle relish, two types of mustard, and hard-boiled eggs, this salad is sure to become a family favorite.
Our take on potato salad still is packed with traditional ingredients like hard-boiled eggs, celery, and dill pickle relish, but is even easier to make, thanks to the Instant Pot. It’s also flavored by two types of mustard, tangy apple cider vinegar, and veggie or chicken broth.
What You’ll Need To Make This Recipe
Yukon Gold potatoes – A rich, starchy potato that is perfect for this salad
Mayonnaise – See our top tips on picking the right mayo for your potato salad
Vegetable or chicken broth
Dill pickle relish
Yellow and Dijon mustard – Two types of mustard take this recipe up to the next level
Apple cider vinegar
Fresh chopped dill
Salt and pepper
How Make Potato Salad in the Instant Pot
- Cut any large potatoes you have in half. Smaller potatoes can just be cooked as they are. Add all your potatoes in the Instant Pot, along with the broth and a little salt. Put on the lid and select “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” for 7 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to reach pressure and then will start counting down. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes once the cooking time is up. Open the valve to release the remaining pressure.
- While the potatoes are cooking, mix the mayo, relish, mustard, vinegar, celery seeds, and paprika in a bowl with some salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything until it’s nice and smooth. Chop up the eggs, celery, onions, and the dill.
- Pop the potatoes into an ice water bath once they’re done. After they’ve cooled a little and the skins have loosened, take the peels off them and chop the potatoes into chunks about half an inch wide. The potatoes might be a bit soft and crumbly, which is totally okay. Put them in a large bowl and mix in the dressing until the potatoes are well coated, then stir in the eggs, celery, onions, and dill. Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh dill and paprika.
- Cover the potato salad and put it in the fridge for at least 4 hours. If you have time to make the potato salad the night before, it’s even better the second day when all the flavors have had a chance to soak in.
Top Tips For Making
- Make sure to use good quality mayonnaise, none of that cheap stuff. If your mayo is strong or just doesn’t taste good, it can make the whole potato salad taste off. We like Hellmann’s or Sprouts Organic mayonnaise.
- Store the potato salad in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week.
- If you are on a strict gluten-free diet, make sure your Dijon mustard doesn’t contain any gluten.
Why Yukon Gold Potatoes?
We like waxy red potatoes in our red potato salad, but Yukon Golds hold up well in this potato salad. They’re a type of yellow potato, and are used in a lot of recipes since they are great for boiling, steaming, roasting, and mashing. Yukon Golds are especially creamy and buttery, but if you absolutely can’t find them, be sure to use another type of yellow potato.
More Delicious Recipes
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans (No Soak!)
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Dreamy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes or other waxy yellow potatoes, See Notes
- 1 1/3 cup mayonnaise good quality, See Notes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon salt plus more
- 1/3 cup dill pickle relish refrigerated
- 1 1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar plus more as desired
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2-3 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 2-3 celery stalks diced
- 1/3 cup sweet onion diced
- 1/2 tablespoon dill fresh, chopped
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- Cut any large potatoes in half while leaving smaller ones in one piece. Add to the Instant Pot.
- Pour the broth in the Instant Pot and add 1 teaspoon salt. Put the lid on. Select "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" and cook for 7 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to reach pressure.
- After cook time has completed, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then open the valve and release remaining pressure. Add the potatoes to an ice water bath once they are finished and allow to cool.
- While potatoes cook, mix the mayonnaise, dill pickle relish including juices, mustards, apple cider vinegar, celery seeds, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Stir until smooth. Then chop the eggs, celery, onions, and dill.
- Remove the peels from potatoes. Chop the potatoes into 1/2-inch chunks. It's okay if they are soft and crumbly. Place the potatoes in a large bowl and gently mix in the dressing until potatoes are well coated. Stir in the eggs, celery, onions, and dill. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with fresh dill and paprika.
- Cover the potato salad and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. If able, make potato salad the night before since it tastes even better on day 2.
- Potatoes: Yukon Gold are preferably, but can substitute with other yellow waxy potatoes
- Mayonnaise: Use high quality mayonnaise without a strong taste. We like Hellmann’s or Sprouts Organic mayonnaise.
- Storage: Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Gluten free: Make sure Dijon mustard does not contain gluten.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.