This Instant Pot chicken and rice is just absolutely dreamy. It’s rich and creamy but SO quick and easy to make. The whole family will love it, and it’s a true one-pot meal! With Parmesan cheese and a splash of lemon, this weeknight family dinner recipe is inspired by my favorite risotto recipe but with none of the hard work required!
Why This Chicken and Rice Is So Good
- Thick and creamy with melty Parmesan, a tang of lemon juice, and perfectly cooked chicken and rice, this recipe is the ultimate comfort food.
- This chicken and rice is so rich and delicious, but so easy to make! With just a few steps in the Instant Pot, this is the perfect easy but filling meal.
- This recipe only take a handful of ingredients that you may already have in your house! We love how simple the ingredients are but how amazingly rich and cheesy this chicken and rice is.
How To Make Chicken and Rice in the Instant Pot
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add the butter and let it melt before adding onion and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir. Cook until the chicken is no longer opaque. Add in the rice, broth, and lemon juice and stir well. Make sure nothing is sticking to the sides, and scoop the chicken pieces to the top.
- Close the lid and set valve to Sealing. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, let naturally release for 5 minutes, then Quick Release the rest of the pressure. Stir everything well and season with Parmesan, salt, and pepper to taste.
Top Tips For Making Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Parmesan cheese is optional for this recipe, but we definitely recommend it! Fresh Parm will make this taste more like risotto, but if you are out, you can use a shredded cheese, like cheddar.
- We used plain white rice for this recipe. Brown rice is not recommended since it would take about 10 minutes longer, which would overcook the chicken.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Black Beans
- Frozen Chicken Breasts
- Baby Back Ribs
- BBQ Chicken
- Chicken and “Rice” Soup (Whole30, Low Carb)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Dal
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Dreamy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
This creamy chicken and rice is a real one-pot meal! With Parmesan cheese and a splash of lemon, it's an easy and delicious dinner.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts about 2-3 breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice from one lemon
- 1 1/2 cups white rice rinsed
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese optional but recommended
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt plus more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper plus more or less to taste
Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add butter and let melt, then add garlic and onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
Add chicken and stir. Cook until no longer opaque, about 5 minutes. Add in rice, broth, and lemon juice. Stir well, bringing chicken pieces to top.
Close lid and set valve to Sealing. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, let naturally release for 5 minutes, then Quick Release rest of pressure. Stir well and season with Parmesan, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Rice: Use white rice since brown rice takes longer to cook and will overcook the chicken.
- Cheese: Fresh Parmesan is ideal, but can sub shredded cheese.