An Instant Pot Whole30 chili recipe that tastes like it’s been simmering all day! The Instant Pot makes this healthy chili recipe so easy, and the veggies and butternut squash make it super filling and flavorful. Low carb and paleo.
Is there anything better than a soul-warming bowl of chili on a crisp autumn day?
There’s only one right answer: no way. That’s maximum fall goodness right there.
The only trouble is… sometimes I like simmering a pot of chili on the stove for hours. In the case of one of my first blog recipes, my championship chili, it’s what draws me to it! I love smelling the tomatoes mingle with the beef, slowly tenderizing the meat and infusing the entire pot with the loveliest flavor. I let it simmer for hours while I kick back and watch football with the window open, a beer in hand…
And then there are other days when uh, I don’t have but a fraction of that time to make a healthy, nutrient-dense bowl of chili that will fix that craving right up.
Why this recipe works:
- The Instant Pot makes this Whole30 chili recipe so easy. No hours of simmering!
- Using butternut squash and red bell pepper in this chili makes it filling and extra nutrient-dense.
- The Instant Pot chili gets its flavor from three (3!) different types of meat and the perfect blend of spices.
Make the best Instant Pot Whole30 chili:
- Use a large Instant Pot to keep this recipe super safe. It’s best in an 8-quart, and you can easily half the recipe for use in a 6 quart. I have personally made the full recipe in a 6-quart Instant Pot, but it’s recommended to only fill it as high as this recipe goes when using Slow Cooker mode.
- Make sure your cubed butternut squash is very evenly diced, otherwise some pieces will cook quickly and others will stay a bit underdone.
- Use fire-roasted tomatoes for an easy extra addition of flavor.
- Try beef bone broth instead of regular beef stock for extra protein, collagen, and nutrients.
Or try these variations:
- Swap the butternut squash for peeled, cubed sweet potatoes.
- Use ground buffalo or bison instead of ground beef.
- Cook the whole thing in the slow cooker instead! See details below.
Here’s how I made this Whole30 chili:
I browned and crumbled the meat in Sauté mode, then cooked the onions, pepper, and garlic the same way.
The remaining ingredients go in then, except for butternut squash, and stir. Then put the butternut squash on top of the mixture. The lid goes on the Instant Pot with the valve sealed.
Cook on Manual High Pressure 22 minutes, then Quick Release, taste, and adjust seasonings as you like.
Can I make this Instant Pot Whole30 chili in the Crockpot or slow cooker?
Sure! Try this:
- Follow the instructions for browning the meat, then sautéing the onion, pepper, and garlic but use a saucepan over medium heat on the stove instead of the Instant Pot Sauté mode.
- Transfer everything to your slow cooker and add remaining ingredients, except for butternut squash. Sprinkle cubed butternut squash over chili mixture evenly.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Stir, taste, and adjust seasonings.
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review below! ? And make sure to share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
Instant Pot Whole30 Chili with Butternut Squash (Paleo)
An Instant Pot Whole30 chili recipe that tastes like it's been simmering all day! The Instant Pot makes this healthy chili recipe so easy, and the veggies and meat make it super filling and flavorful.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 8 ounces bacon diced
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 28-oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
Turn Instant Pot on Sauté mode. Add ground beef and pork and brown, crumbling with a wooden spoon or spatula, until cooked through. Sprinkle spices over - black pepper through ground cumin - and add red wine vinegar; stir until well combined. Transfer to a bowl.
Add bacon to Instant Pot and cook on Sauté mode until cooked through. Drain grease into a small heatproof bowl; return 1/4 cup bacon grease to Instant Pot cooking pot.
Add onion and red bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add remaining ingredients, except for butternut squash, and stir to combine. Place butternut squash on top.
Secure Instant Pot lid with valve in the sealing position and cook on Manual High Pressure 22 minutes. Quick Release, stir, and adjust seasonings to taste.
This recipe works best in the 8-quart Instant Pot. You can half the recipe (Simply adjust the servings in the recipe card) to use in a 6-quart Instant Pot. Making the full recipe as written in the smaller Instant Pot will bring the contents up a bit higher than is officially recommended. I, however, have personally made the full recipe in the 6-quart.