This Instant Pot jambalaya is an easier take on a classic Cajun recipe! It has all the components of this flavor-packed comfort meal, yet comes together in a fraction of the time. This Instant Pot jambalaya is the perfect quick and simple recipe to throw together for family and friends!
What Makes This Instant Pot Jambalaya So Good
- It’s exploding with delicious spice and flavor! If you’re ever looking for a flavor-packed meal – this is it. Two heaping tablespoons of Cajun seasoning give this Instant Pot jambalaya an insane amount of delicious flavor!
- It comes together in just one pot! The Instant Pot not only reduces the cook time by about half, but it makes cleanup a breeze. This is one of my favorite recipes to throw together for friends and family. It yields a mouthwatering meal with very little work!
- It’s virtually foolproof! This Instant Pot jambalaya recipe is outlined with a few very simple steps that truly anyone can follow. With very little room for error, you’ll have a perfectly cooked and irresistible jambalaya every time you make it!
Key Ingredients for Instant Pot Jambalaya
Andouille Sausage – Different from most other sausages, andouille sausage has a smoky flavor and coarse texture. I highly recommend against using any other sausage in this recipe. Andouille is traditional to all jambalaya dishes. I was even able to find a Cajun-style andouille sausage for this recipe and oh boy, was it delicious! However, if you can’t find andouille sausage, you can use chorizo instead. Though avoid making this recipe without the sausage. The sausage packs in so much delicious flavor!
Cajun Seasoning – Cajun seasoning is comprised of some of the best spices! Smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and dried oregano are just a few of many. It’s perfectly spicy, smoky, and adds an incredible depth of flavor to this Instant Pot jambalaya. Though if you can’t find Cajun seasoning at your local grocery store, I recommend making it yourself using one of the many Cajun seasoning recipes on the internet.
Long Grain White Rice – This specific variety of rice maintains its shape and fluffs up beautifully once cooked. Long grain white rice is another staple ingredient to traditional jambalaya recipes and provides an ideal texture to the base of this dish. Types of long grain white rices include both basmati rice and jasmine rice – either will work in this recipe!
- Don’t overthink this super simple Instant Pot jambalaya recipe! It really is as easy as outlined in the recipe below. Move from one step right into the other, using the exact same pot – not adding or removing any elements.
- You can easily double this recipe if you’d like! Like I said before, I love throwing this jambalaya recipe together for a crowd. And when I do, I double the amount of each ingredient while sticking to the exact same cooking times in the recipe.
- Remember to stir everything together in the last step – right after you add the shrimp, chicken, and sausage! The goal here is to ensure everything is evenly distributed throughout your Instant Pot jambalaya. If you forget to stir before placing the lid back on, you risk overcooking the rice which will sit at the bottom of the pot.
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Shrimp
- The Best EVER Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
- Instant Pot Dal
- 50 Low Carb Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Eggs
- Instant Pot Carne Asada
- Dreamy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Chicken Legs
- The Best Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Instant Pot Applesauce
- Instant Pot Jasmine Rice (Under 10 Minutes)
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Instant Pot Jambalaya
- Instant Pot
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 pound andouille sausage sliced into rounds
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper see Notes
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled
- Set Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add one tablespoon vegetable oil and once hot, add in the sliced andouille sausage, cook for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove sausage from pot and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon vegetable oil along with the chicken, cook for about 5 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Add the remaining one tablespoon of vegetable oil along with onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes or until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the Cajun seasoning, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, and rice. Stir for about 1 minute to coat the rice in spices.
- Press cancel to turn off heat then add in the diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Mix to combine then secure with lid and set Instant Pot to cook on manual high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Manually release steam, remove lid then add in the raw shrimp along with the cooked sausage and chicken. Stir to combine then secure lid and allow residual heat to cook for 5-10 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through.
- Cayenne Pepper: If you prefer a milder jambalaya, feel free to leave out the additional cayenne pepper altogether. Cajun seasoning already has cayenne pepper in it and packs in a bit of spice on its own.
- Make it Low Carb: Substitute the rice for 2 ½ cups of cauliflower rice instead. Reduce the amount of chicken broth to just one cup. In step 5, set the manual high pressure time to just 1 minute!
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!