This 7 layer salad is a classic potluck and entertaining favorite made even better with all the best layers! With lettuce, peas, tomatoes, cucumber, chopped eggs, and lots of bacon, cheese, and a heavenly creamy dressing, your guests will be fighting over the last of this make-ahead layered salad side!
This recipe is the perfect summer salad that can also take you to fall picnics, winter holidays, and beyond! So easy to make, yet so pretty to look at, it’s absolutely the perfect salad when you want a side that’s tasty and also aesthetically pleasing. Just imagine this beauty next to the barbecue, at Thanksgiving, parties…
What Makes This Recipe So Good
For the salad:
Iceberg lettuce – With a crunchy texture and solid form, iceberg lettuce holds up well under all the ingredients without getting soggy.
Bacon – Crispy, salty bacon is one of the best parts of a salad, so we couldn’t leave it out! With the tastes of fresh veggies, rich cheddar and dressing, and hearty eggs, bacon helps make this recipe complete. Vegetarian? Check out the top tips for a surprising solution!
Peas – Green peas add a layer (literally) of juicy texture and sweet flavor. You can use the frozen variety, but we love our peas fresh.
Cheddar cheese – With a sharp and buttery taste, cheddar is a nice strong component to this salad that helps balance the more mild flavors.
Red onion – So perfect for salads, red onions hold up well with dressing and are the quintessential astringent taste of onions, but just a little sweet.
English cucumber – Sweet, thin, and seedless, English cucumbers don’t have the bitter flavor of their traditional cousins.
Tomatoes – We used traditional, full-sized tomatoes chopped into cubes, but you can absolutely use smaller tomatoes like cherry or grape chopped in half.
Hard-boiled eggs – Buttery yolks and tender egg whites finish off this salad with a kick of protein and texture.
For the dressing:
Parmesan – Grated parm is salty, savory, and helps give the dressing texture and flavor.
Mayonnaise – Mayo is the base of the dressing, making it creamy, rich, and thick.
Garlic – Garlic makes everything better, to be honest! Just a little pressed garlic gives the dressing a bite of sweet, vibrant, and bold.
How To Make 7 Layer Salad
For the dressing, mix together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
In a large bowl with a flat bottom, place the chopped lettuce.
Follow by layering each ingredient, in this order: red onion, tomatoes, peas, cucumbers, egg, dressing, cheddar cheese, and bacon.
Top Tips For Making
- Dying for this salad but vegan? No problem! Swap out the cheddar cheese for vegan cheese, leave out the eggs, and use plant-based bacon bits or pieces. McCormick Bac’n Pieces are vegan! You can also just sub the dressing with the vegan dressing of your choice.
- If you’re not using pre-cooked bacon or bacon pieces, there are quite a few methods on how to cook yours. Cooking it in the air fryer is super easy and pretty much hands-off. You can also hard-boil your eggs using my easy method on the stove or in the air fryer.
More Salad Recipes
- Avocado Salad
- White Bean Salad
- Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint
- Zucchini Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
7 Layer Salad
This salad is fresh, full of flavor, so easy, and yet absolutely gorgeous
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 pound bacon crumbled
- 12 ounces peas thawed if frozen
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 English cucumber about 1 cup
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes cubed
- 6 hard-boiled eggs cubed
- 1 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup parmesan freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Mix together parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, and salt in a small bowl to make the dressing. In a large bowl with a flat bottom, place the chopped lettuce. Follow by layering each ingredient, in this order: red onion, tomatoes, peas, cucumbers, egg, dressing, cheddar cheese, and bacon.
- Vegan or vegetarian: Use plant-based bacon bits or pieces if vegetarian. If vegan, sub out bacon pieces, omit eggs, use vegan cheddar cheese, and use vegan dressing or substitute mayo and parmesan for plant-based.
- Tips for cooking bacon: Cooking it in the air fryer is super easy and pretty much hands-off.
- Tips for hard-boiling eggs: Use my easy method on the stove or in the air fryer.
I recommend buying wine from Scout and Cellar, especially for lower carb or sugar and the health conscious. There’s no added sugar to these wines, and they’re all much lower in carbs, calories, and sugar. For me, there’s no headache or fogginess the next day!
It depends on what else you’re serving, but with a salad, I like anything from a fresh white wine to a deeper, more robust red.
– Sparkling white wine like 2019 Gallivant Bubbly White Wine from North Coast, California
– Sauvignon Blanc like 2019 Adelante Sauvignon Blanc from Chile
– Malbec like 2017 Solar del Alma Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina