This cucumber tomato salad is a quick and easy summer side dish that’s refreshing and loaded with flavor. Made with a super simple vinaigrette, red onion, and fresh basil for an extra pop of deliciousness, this recipe is the perfect picnic, BBQ, or anytime side dish during warmer months. It’s THE way to celebrate delicious summer veggies!
This simple yet flavorful salad is the perfect summer side and easy way to use veggies you may have around the house. The simple homemade dressing is tangy but doesn’t overpower or shadow the flavor of the real stars of the show – the fresh vegetables. The English cucumbers are sweet with peels that are tender, not tough, so there’s no real prep (other than cutting) involved!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
English cucumber is a long, seedless variety of cucumber with a sweeter flavor than typical cucumbers.
Tomatoes add sweetness and acidity to the salad.
Red onions are sweeter and more intensely flavored than their white cousins, giving this salad a sweet and tangy bite.
Basil leaves are fragrant and have a peppery taste that blends well with the sweetness of the vegetables in the salad.
Olive oil is peppery, richly flavored by olives, and gives the dressing a slightly fruity and bitter taste.
White wine vinegar is white wine that has been fermented, with a mild, mellow flavor.
Honey or sugar for an extra hint of sweetness to the dressing.
How To Make It
The full recipe & ingredients list are below, but here you’ll find a quick overview for making this recipe perfectly, along with useful tips and info!
Whisk the ingredients for the dressing together.
Pour the dressing over the other ingredients and toss. That’s it!
- This salad tastes great chilled, so you can make it a few hours ahead of time and pop it in the fridge. You probably want to make it the same day you plan on serving though, or the veggies will get wilted and soggy.
- For a tangier taste, try swapping out the white wine vinegar for apple cider vinegar or white balsamic vinegar.
- To keep the salad vegan, use sugar instead of honey.
More Super Easy Recipes
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans (No Soak!)
- Salmon Salad
- 5 Minute Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage
- Chef Salad
- 1 English cucumber peeled, halved, and sliced into 1/4" pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium tomatoes cut in half and sliced into 1/2” pieces, seeds discarded
- 1/4 red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 10 basil leaves thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey or sugar, salt, and ground pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and basil leaves and toss.
- Make ahead of time: Make a few hours before serving and store in fridge.
- Ingredient substitution ideas: Swap white wine vinegar for apple cider vinegar or white balsamic vinegar for a tangier dressing.
- Vegan: Use sugar instead of honey.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.