Whole30 Breakfast Casserole with Sausage, Eggs, Spinach, and Mushrooms (Keto)
This Whole30 breakfast casserole with sausage, eggs, spinach, and mushrooms is flavorful enough to live off of during a Whole30. You’ll love this healthy, paleo breakfast casserole because it’s packed with flavor, protein, and fiber, making you feel a-freaking-mazing all day.
Any time we’re on a Whole30, I spend a couple hours on Sunday afternoon, making dishes for the week. This usually looks like a batch of Whole30 garlic mayonnaise, Whole30 chicken salad, and Whole30 ranch dressing. But one Sunday, I was struck by the strangest, strongest urge to make a sausage and veggie bake, filled with chopped spinach, fresh tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms, homemade spicy breakfast sausage, and fresh herbs.
And you know what? I never tired of eating this Whole30 and paleo breakfast casserole that week, not once! No, I fell in love with the creamy egg bake, the rich sausage, the fresh veggies, the flavorful herbs. This is saying a lot, considering I need a savory breakfast to be absolutely top notch to maintain my attention.
Even better, I felt amazing after eating it, which is one of my very favorite things about eating a Whole30 breakfast. There’s no heaviness or energy slump. Nah, you feel light and energized and full until lunch. With loads of veggies and plenty of protein, this Whole30 breakfast casserole with sausage, eggs, spinach, and mushrooms might just be Whole30-perfect.
Why this Whole30 breakfast casserole is so good:
- It’s the Whole30 breakfast casserole for Whole30 breakfast casserole haters. It’s packed absolutely full of flavor and contains tons of protein.
- It isn’t heavy, and there’s great fiber content, too. This dish is one where I combined basically everything good I could think of and included all my favorite veggies: sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes. We had fresh basil on hand, so of course I added it. However, you’d be fine without it, or you could substitute dried basil easily.
- This Whole30 breakfast casserole comes together quite easily, making your Sunday meal prep easier than ever.
On top of being oh-so-flavorful, it’s super easy and pretty darn quick… major bonus points for anything Whole30, if you know what I mean. The directions go basically as follows: sauté stuff, pour eggs over, bake, um… eat? As much as I freaking love making mayonnaise all the time (liar, liar, pants on fire), I am all about some efficiencies in the kitchen.
- This Whole30 breakfast casserole is super versatile, so you can try it with different meats (Bacon is great!) or veggies. Sun-dried tomatoes would be awesome in this.
- Increase the eggs to 12 for an eggier paleo breakfast casserole that makes a bit more.
- Swap out roasted sweet potatoes for the mushrooms if you’re not a fan of fungi.
- Evenly distribute the veggie filling among the cups in a muffin tin and pour the eggs over for an on-the-go breakfast option.
- Don’t overbake this Whole30 breakfast casserole! Cook it until it’s just set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Make sure you squeeze the water out of your thawed spinach, otherwise you’ll end up with a watery mess! If you do forget, just sauté the veggie mixture longer or until the water is evaporated.
Recipes You’ll Also Love
- Whole30 Hashbrown and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- How to Make Soft Boiled Eggs
- Paleo Sweet Potato Apple Breakfast Bake
- Sweet Potato Whole30 Breakfast Bowl
- Whole30 Breakfast Sandwiches
- Easy Whole30 Breakfast Sausage
- Whole30 Quiche Lorraine with Hashbrown “Crust”
Whole30 Breakfast Casserole with Sausage, Eggs, Spinach, and Mushrooms
- 1 pound Whole30-compliant breakfast sausage see below for recipe
- 3 cups button mushrooms sliced
- olive oil as needed
- 6 green onions sliced
- 3 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 10 large eggs
For Homemade Whole30-Compliant Breakfast Sausage
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Large bowl
- Medium skillet
- 9×13 baking dish
- Medium bowl
For the Whole30-Compliant Breakfast Sausage
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well with your hands. Use in recipe right away or keep in an airtight container for 1 day in the fridge.
For the Whole30 Breakfast Bake
- Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown and crumble sausage. Add olive oil if necessary.
- Add mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add remaining vegetables, herbs, and salt and cook about 2 minutes or until slightly softened and well combined. Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl and whisk well. Pour over sausage-vegetable mixture and bake 25-30 minutes or until a knife, inserted in the center, comes out clean. Serve warm.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.
Leave a Comment