What’s better than an ice cream sundae with hot fudge, whipped cream, and sprinkles? An ice cream sundae topped with a dollop of whipped coffee, of course! The dalgona coffee version of affogato (or espresso poured over ice cream), this adult version of a classic hot fudge ice cream sundae is the perfect elegant dessert with a coffee kick. Super easy to make and prep ahead of time.
Why This Sundae Is So Good
- Indulgent hot chocolate, soft vanilla ice cream, fluffy and sweet whipped coffee, and sprinkles. Need I say more?
- This decadent treat is the grown-up version of the traditional sundae or the modern take on affogato. Perfectly Instagram-able, these are bound to be a hit at your next party but are easy enough to make every day (we’re not judging).
- This heavenly dessert is super easy to make vegan and dairy-free, making this sundae a treat for your tastebuds and your dietary needs.
How To Make Whipped Coffee Ice Cream Sundae
- Make the whipped coffee (see how-to below).
- Warm your fudge in the microwave for 10 seconds, or until at your desired temperature.
- Scoop half of the hot fudge into a glass or bowl, then add ice cream and another layer of hot fudge.
- Spoon or pipe your whipped coffee on top and top with sprinkles.
How To Make Whipped Coffee
- Add 1 tablespoon hot water, 1 tablespoon instant coffee, and 1 tablespoon sweetener – to a medium-sized bowl.
- Whip on medium to high speed with a hand-mixer or whisk until nice and fluffy.
Top Tips For Making
- To make ahead, let your ice cream soften slightly by taking out of the freezer for a few minutes. Scoop with an ice cream scoop (scoops with a trigger release definitely help!). Place scoops on to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer until ready to serve.
- To make your whipped coffee sundae vegan and dairy-free, use vegan ice cream and vegan hot fudge.
- Want to fancy up this dessert even more? Make the bottom layer of your sundae a brownie (try my black bean brownies or paleo brownies). You can also stir in a splash of Kahlua with your hot fudge after heating it.
What Is Affogato?
An Italian dessert, affogato is a scoop of vanilla ice cream or gelato with hot espresso poured over it. They sometimes will include a shot of liquor, so if you want to combine my boozy whipped coffee and this sundae, go for it!
More Delectable Desserts
- Black Bean Brownies
- Healthy Edible Brownie Batter
- Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Keto Buckeyes
- Paleo Pecan Pie
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Whipped Coffee Ice Cream Sundae
A modern sundae or affogato, this recipe pairs hot fudge, vanilla ice cream, and whipped coffee for a decadent grown-up treat.
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or other granulated sweetener
- 1-2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 2-4 tablespoons hot fudge slightly warmed
- 1 teaspoon chocolate sprinkles
Add hot water, instant coffee, and sugar to a medium-sized bowl.
Whip on medium to high speed with a hand-mixer or whisk.
Warm fudge in the microwave for 10 seconds.
Scoop half hot fudge into glass or bowl. Add ice cream and another layer of hot fudge.
Spoon or pipe your whipped coffee on top. Top with sprinkles.
- Vegan or dairy-free: Use vegan ice cream and vegan hot fudge.
- Make ahead of time: Let ice cream soften slightly then scoop out ice cream with a scoop that has a release. Release scoops onto parchment-lined baking sheet or place and place in freezer until ready to serve.
- Additional ideas: Place brownie at bottom of bowl or glass and/or add splash of coffee liqueur to hot fudge after warming.