What’s better than an ice cream sundae with hot fudge, whipped cream, and sprinkles? An ice cream sundae topped with a dollop of whipped coffee, of course! The dalgona coffee version of affogato (or espresso poured over ice cream), this adult version of a classic hot fudge ice cream sundae is the perfect elegant dessert with a coffee kick. Super easy to make and prep ahead of time.
Why This Sundae Is So Good
- Indulgent hot chocolate, soft vanilla ice cream, fluffy and sweet whipped coffee, and sprinkles. Need I say more?
- This decadent treat is the grown-up version of the traditional sundae or the modern take on affogato. Perfectly Instagram-able, these are bound to be a hit at your next party but are easy enough to make every day (we’re not judging).
- This heavenly dessert is super easy to make vegan and dairy-free, making this sundae a treat for your tastebuds and your dietary needs.
How To Make It
- Make the whipped coffee (see how-to below).
- Warm your fudge in the microwave for 10 seconds, or until at your desired temperature.
- Scoop half of the hot fudge into a glass or bowl, then add ice cream and another layer of hot fudge.
- Spoon or pipe your whipped coffee on top and top with sprinkles.
How To Make Whipped Coffee
- Add 1 tablespoon hot water, 1 tablespoon instant coffee, and 1 tablespoon sweetener – to a medium-sized bowl.
- Whip on medium to high speed with a hand-mixer or whisk until nice and fluffy.
- To make ahead, let your ice cream soften slightly by taking out of the freezer for a few minutes. Scoop with an ice cream scoop (scoops with a trigger release definitely help!). Place scoops on to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer until ready to serve.
- To make your whipped coffee sundae vegan and dairy-free, use vegan ice cream and vegan hot fudge.
- Want to fancy up this dessert even more? Make the bottom layer of your sundae a brownie (try my black bean brownies or paleo brownies). You can also stir in a splash of Kahlua with your hot fudge after heating it.
What Is Affogato?
An Italian dessert, affogato is a scoop of vanilla ice cream or gelato with hot espresso poured over it. They sometimes will include a shot of liquor, so if you want to combine my boozy whipped coffee and this sundae, go for it!
More Delectable Desserts
- Black Bean Brownies
- Healthy Edible Brownie Batter
- Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Keto Buckeyes
- Paleo Pecan Pie
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or other granulated sweetener
- 1-2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 2-4 tablespoons hot fudge slightly warmed
- 1 teaspoon chocolate sprinkles
- Hand-mixer or whisk
- Add hot water, instant coffee, and sugar to a medium-sized bowl.
- Whip on medium to high speed with a hand-mixer or whisk.
- Warm fudge in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Scoop half hot fudge into glass or bowl. Add ice cream and another layer of hot fudge.
- Spoon or pipe your whipped coffee on top. Top with sprinkles.
- Vegan or dairy-free: Use vegan ice cream and vegan hot fudge.
- Make ahead of time: Let ice cream soften slightly then scoop out ice cream with a scoop that has a release. Release scoops onto parchment-lined baking sheet or place and place in freezer until ready to serve.
- Additional ideas: Place brownie at bottom of bowl or glass and/or add splash of coffee liqueur to hot fudge after warming.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.