Keto Mac and Cheese
This keto mac and cheese recipe replaces traditional macaroni with a surprising but totally delicious ingredient… cauliflower! Made with a rich and creamy cheese sauce and topped with a crispy “breadcrumb” crumble, it’s a delicious low-carb alternative to a classic comfort food.
🧀 What Makes This Recipe So Good
- All the rich, cheesy goodness of traditional mac and cheese, with a fraction of the carbs! This keto mac and cheese recipe replaces elbow pasta (or rotini, or shells) with tender cauliflower for a dupe that’s surprisingly convincing.
- There’s no flour or flour substitute used here. The thick creaminess of the sauce comes straight from the cheese! And because of that, this dish clocks in at only 4g net carbs per serving. WAY lower than any traditional mac and cheese.
- Keto mac and cheese can be made with fresh or frozen cauliflower, so you can literally have the ingredients on hand for whenever the craving strikes. If you use frozen cauliflower florets, you’ll want to defrost them in the fridge overnight, or keep them frozen but add a few minutes to the cook time.
👩🏼🍳 Chef’s Tips
- Want something closer to traditional mac and cheese? Use the recipe for the cheese sauce and the “breadcrumb” topping, but replace the cauliflower with palmini noodles or palmini rice. You’ll get that pasta texture without any pasta.
- If the cheese sauce is too thick for your liking, stir in a little more heavy cream. Alternately, if it’s too thin, add more shredded cheese and let it melt completely. The cheese sauce will thicken as it stands, though, so don’t overdo it.
- You’re welcome to roast the cauliflower for your keto mac and cheese, rather than boiling it. Drizzle oil over the florets, and any seasonings you like, then roast them until they’re tender. 15-20 minutes should do the trick.
🥑 Keto Recipes Your Whole Family Will Love
- Keto Big Mac Recipe
- Creamy Jalapeño Popper Dip (Low Carb, Keto)
- Keto Quiche (with a Keto Crust!)
- Creamy Keto Taco Soup
- Chick-Fil-A Style Keto Chicken Nuggets (With Keto Chick-Fil-A Sauce)
Keto Mac and Cheese
For the Keto Mac and Cheese
- 2 large heads cauliflower cut into florets, approximately 8 cups
- water enough to cover cauliflower in pot
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded fresh cheddar cheese divided, at room temperature
- ¾ cup shredded fresh mozzarella cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt more or less to taste
For the "Breadcrumb" Topping
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup crushed pork rinds see Notes
- ¼ cup grated fresh parmesan
- Large pot with lid
- Paper towels
- 9×13 baking dish
- Small microwave-safe bowl
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Fill pot with enough water to cover cauliflower florets. Place pot over high heat and bring water to boil.
- Once water boils rapidly, add cauliflower florets to pot and cover pot with lid. Immediately reduce heat under pot to low. Cook cauliflower approximately 8 minutes or until fork tender.
- Carefully pour cauliflower florets and water through colander. Set colander aside and let cauliflower drain completely.
- Use paper towels to remove any excess water from pot. Pour in heavy cream, 1 cup cheddar cheese, mozzarella, and cream cheese. Stir to incorporate, then return pot to stove and increase heat to medium. Stir constantly until cheeses have melted and ingredients are fully combined.
- Remove pot from heat. Add garlic powder, dried mustard powder, and salt. Stir to incorporate, then taste cheese sauce and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Return cauliflower florets to pot. Gently stir until florets are fully incorporated and coated in sauce, then transfer mixture to 9×13 baking dish. Spread cauliflower mixture out into one even layer across bottom of dish. Set aside.
- Place butter in small bowl and microwave in 15-second increments, stirring butter after each, until butter is melted but not bubbling or boiling. Carefully remove bowl from microwave. Add crushed pork rinds and grated parmesan to melted butter and stir until ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese over top of cauliflower florets, then spread "breadcrumb" mixture over shredded cheese. Place baking dish in preheated oven and bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until shredded cheese is melted and "breadcrumbs" are golden brown.
- Carefully remove baking dish from oven. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes, then divide into even portions and serve warm.
- Crushed Pork Rinds: You can buy regular pork rinds and crush them yourself, or you can buy crushed pork rind breadcrumbs like these from Pork King Good.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.
Leave a Comment