These easy rutabaga fries are deliciously crispy, and low-carb! They’re the perfect savory addition to any meal. Throw together this simple side dish with a few ingredients, and in under 30 minutes!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- It’s quick and easy to make! Simply peel and cut a rutabaga, toss it in some spices, then bake for 30 minutes. Once done, your fries will be irresistibly crispy and flavorful.
- They’re naturally low-carb and keto friendly! With just 4 grams of net carbs per serving, these baked rutabaga fries are the perfect healthy alternative to deep-fried french fries.
- It’s a sneaky way to add more veggies into your diet! I love cooking up a batch of these delicious fries when I’m growing sick and tired of the same old broccoli. The flavors in this dish mask how nutritious it is!
Rutabaga – Rutabaga is a root vegetable, and part of the turnip family. While similar in flavor to a turnip, rutabagas are much larger and have a more opaque flesh. When baked, the rutabaga has a pretty mild, starchy flavor, with a hint of bitterness. To prepare a rutabaga for this recipe, simply peel off the soft, waxy skin. Then, cut it into even-sized spears, about 1/2-inch thick.
Avocado Oil – Any vegetable oil will work, though I prefer avocado oil for its higher smoke point. But you can use your favorite mild-tasting oil. A mild oil won’t take away from the delicious flavor in these rutabaga fries!
- Feel free to switch up the seasoning any way you’d like! A sprinkling of chipotle powder, or even onion powder would taste delicious. Have fun with this recipe and don’t be afraid to make it your own!
- Avoid overcrowding your baking sheet! When arranging the fries on the baking sheet, be sure none of them are touching. If they’re too tightly packed, they won’t get nearly as crispy!
- Store any leftover rutabaga fries in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. To reheat, arrange them once again on a baking sheet and bake at 425° Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes, or until crispy. I don’t recommend using the microwave to reheat fries, as this will cause them to lose their crisp!
More Easy Low-Carb Side Dish Recipes
- The Best Air Fryer Broccoli
- Sautéed Mushrooms
- Cheesy Spinach Casserole
- Simple Sautéed Cabbage
- Roasted Air Fryer Carrots
- Baking sheet
- Large bowl
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss all ingredients in a large bowl, then arrange fries on baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping fries halfway through to evenly crisp on all sides.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.