Simple Sauteed Cabbage
This sauteed cabbage is perfectly tender and crisp! Lightly seasoned with a handful of ingredients you already have on-hand. Toss together this simple side dish in just 10 minutes!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- It requires just five ingredients, most of which you probably already have on-hand! Fresh green cabbage, olive oil, salt, pepper, and maybe some lemon juice are all you need for this easy recipe.
- It’s super healthy and diet-friendly! Green cabbage is low in calories yet high nutrients. This simple side dish is guaranteed to suit anyone’s dietary restrictions!
- It takes just 10 minutes to make! From slicing the cabbage to cooking it, you’ll have this side on the table in no time. Not to mention, there’s very little work involved as well!
Green Cabbage – Purchase a small head of green cabbage for this sauteed recipe. To prepare your cabbage, start by giving it a good rinse under cold water. Then, thinly slice/shred the cabbage using any of these methods. Once shredded, give it one last quick rinse and then let it dry for a few minutes before adding it into the hot skillet.
Lemon Juice – While optional, this citrusy ingredients gives this recipe a tangy bite! The acidity from the lemon juice also helps to break down the cabbage, making it that much more tender. If you don’t have lemon juice, you can use lime juice or even a touch of apple cider vinegar instead.
- It may seem like a large amount of cabbage at first, but trust me, it will cook down. Continue to toss the cabbage while it cooks and watch it wilt to nearly half its starting size! My preferred tool for this specific recipe is a pair of tongs, which make it easier to grab and toss the ingredients.
- Adjust any seasonings as you’d like! I found one teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of pepper give this sauteed cabbage the perfect amount of flavor without overpowering its delicious taste. However, feel free to add in an extra pinch of salt or even some red pepper flakes for added spice if you’d like!
- Serve this simple side dish however you’d like! I love enjoying it alongside seared pork chops or roasted chicken for a complete meal. I’ll even toss some into salads to boost flavor and nutrition!
Other Quick and Easy Veggie Recipes
- Green Beans with Bacon
- Asparagus Salad
- Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- Sauteed Zucchini
- Cherry Tomato Salad
Simple Sauteed Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil see Notes
- 1 head green cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice optional
- Large skillet
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in the cabbage, salt, and pepper and sauté until cabbage is tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove cabbage from heat and stir in the lemon juice, then serve immediately.
- Olive Oil: For a buttery sauteed cabbage, use one tablespoon of butter plus one tablespoon of olive oil in this recipe.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.
Leave a Comment