This Instant Pot turkey breast with gravy is truly delicious! Made more quickly and easily in the Instant Pot, this recipe uses a trio of simple techniques to produce the moistest and most tender turkey breast. Served with a rich gravy, it’s perfect for a small Thanksgiving, Christmas, or anytime you’re craving turkey!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- This tender, juicy turkey breast is perfect if you’re having a small holiday dinner or are just craving a healthy meal. With an easy, salty brine and garlicky compound butter under the skin, it’s definitely not your basic, boring turkey.
- While brining your turkey is totally optional, we love how flavorful and juicy it makes the turkey and skin. All it takes is mixing a few ingredients and letting the turkey hang out in the fridge for a couple hours!
- The gravy for this turkey breast is rich, flavorful, and so easy to make! With a few easy swaps, it can be made gluten free or paleo, making it easy to fit into your (or your guest’s) dietary needs.
How To Make Turkey Breast in the Instant Pot
The full recipe & ingredients list are below, but here you’ll find a quick overview for making this recipe perfectly, along with useful tips and info!
Make the brine by stirring all the ingredients together until the salt is completely dissolved. Pour it into a big container or plastic bag and add the turkey breast. Seal it completely and chill in the fridge for at least a couple of hours. When you’re ready to cook, drain the brine.
Mix the butter ingredients in a food processor or blender. Using your fingers, carefully peel the skin away from the chicken breast and rub the butter mixture under the skin. Rub the outside of the skin with butter and season with salt and pepper.
Add the broth to the Instant Pot and place the trivet. Add the turkey breast on top and add the lid to the Instant Pot and seal.
Cook on Manual High Pressure, then naturally release.
Remove the turkey breast carefully. If you’d like, you can broil the turkey in the oven for a few minutes to brown the skin.
Make the gravy by pouring 2 cups of the broth and drippings into big bowl or measuring cup.
Add the pot back to the Instant Pot and turn on Sauté mode. Add some butter and the flour, whisking until a smooth paste is created. Whisk in the warm stock until it’s fully mixed and season with salt and pepper.
Top Tips For Making
- Need more tips for Thankgiving? Download my Complete and Total Guide to Thanksgiving here!
- When adding the butter mixture to underneath the turkey skin, you can stick a spoon with butter on it underneath the skin, then use your fingers on the outside of the skin to hold the butter in place while you remove the spoon.
- Make this turkey breast paleo by using ghee instead of butter for the skin and cassava flour instead of all-purpose flour for the gravy.
- For gluten free gravy, swap out the flour for gluten free all-purpose flour.
More Perfect Holiday Recipes
- Whole30 Instant Pot Turkey Breast with Gravy (Paleo)
- Creamed Onions
- Candied Carrots
- Instant Pot Whole30 Cranberry Sauce with Apples and Rosemary (Paleo, No Sugar)
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- 1/3 cup butter + 2 tablespoons (7 1/2 tablespoons in total), divided
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cloves garlic minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 (3-pound) whole skin-on turkey breast thawed; plastic wrap removed, netting still on
- 1-2 pinches salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 9 cups water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 stalk celery cut into 1” pieces
- 1 carrot cut into 1” pieces
- 1/2 onion roughly diced
- Make the brine: Stir together all brine until salt is totally dissolved. Pour brine into large food storage container or plastic sandwich bag and place turkey breast in brine. Seal completely and refrigerate about 2-4 hours.
- Mix 3 tablespoons butter, garlic, and thyme in a food processor, blender, or by hand. Using your fingers, carefully peel the skin away from the chicken breast and rub the butter mixture under the skin. Rub the outside of the skin with butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Drain brine from turkey. Add the broth and aromatics to the Instant Pot and place trivet.
- Place turkey breast on top of trivet and put lid on Instant Pot, making sure valve is in Sealing position. Cook on Manual High Pressure mode for 25 minutes. Then let naturally release for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove turkey breast carefully and cut off the netting.
- If desired, pat very dry, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil, preheat broiler, and broil turkey for a few minutes to brown skin.
- To make gravy, pour broth and drippings into a large heat-proof measuring cup. Pour off all but about 2 cups, or save for another use. Return pot to instant Pot and heat over Sauté mode. Add 3 tbsp butter to pot and let melt, then sprinkle over flour. Whisk until a smooth paste forms, then gradually pour in warm stock, a little at a time, whisking constantly until all stock is incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Thanksgiving tips: Download my Complete and Total Guide to Thanksgiving here!
- Adding butter to turkey: You can stick a spoon with butter on it underneath the skin, then use your fingers on the outside of the skin to hold the butter in place while you remove the spoon.
- Paleo: Use ghee instead of butter and cassava flour instead of all-purpose, 1:1
- Gluten-free: Use gluten-free all-purpose flour instead of all-purpose, 1:1
I recommend buying wine from Scout and Cellar, especially for lower carb or sugar and the health conscious. There’s no added sugar to these wines, and they’re all much lower in carbs, calories, and sugar. For me, there’s no headache or fogginess the next day!
There are so many wines that are great for entertaining, like:
– Cabernet Sauvignon, like 2016 Bernhard Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley, California
– Merlot, like 2019 Middle Jane Merlot from Sonoma County, California
– Pinot Grigio, like 2019 Che Fico Pinot Grigio from DOC delle Venezie, Italy