This creamy ham gravy is incredibly rich and flavorful! Made with just four ingredients, this side dish couldn’t be any easier to make. Finish off your plate of ham and mashed potatoes with a generous pour of this delicious ham gravy.
What Makes This Ham Gravy So Good
- It requires just four ingredients! The next time you bake a ham, make sure to hold onto those delicious ham drippings. Then add them to a saucepan with butter, flour, and milk and in just a few minutes you’ll have an incredible homemade ham gravy.
- It’ll take that plate of ham, mashed potatoes, and fixings to the next level! This gravy is loaded with flavor and will make your already delicious meal totally irresistible.
- Ham gravy is a fun twist on traditional turkey or chicken gravy. If you’re like me and believe that turkey gravy is one of the best parts of every holiday, then you’ll go crazy for this ham gravy! It’s just as rich and creamy as any other gravy, but with a slightly smokey flavor that is simply drool-worthy.
Key Ingredients for Ham Gravy
Ham Drippings – The juices released by your ham while baking contain so much flavor! Next time you make a ham, whatever you do, do not toss the ham drippings. As the main character in this recipe, the ham gravy gets most of its flavor from the ham drippings, making it an incredibly important part of this side dish. If you want to make this ham gravy without having to bake an entire ham, then you can use one cup of rendered bacon fat instead.
Whole Milk – This is where our gravy gets super rich and creamy. Whole milk gives this ham gravy the perfect thick, but still pourable, consistency. You can use chicken broth instead of whole milk, if you’d like.
- Be careful not to cook this gravy at too high of a temperature. The butter and flour can burn relatively easily in this recipe. I recommend starting out at low-medium heat, then working up to medium heat depending on how hot your stove gets.
- Feel free to season this recipe however you’d like! I find that the ham drippings have enough flavor that I don’t even need to add any salt or pepper. Though after the final step, give your gravy a taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Don’t walk away from this gravy. The entire recipe takes just 5 minutes and the ham gravy will thicken very quickly. Continue whisking your gravy until it’s thick, and if it’s too thick add a tiny bit more milk to achieve the consistency you’d like.
More Delicious Gravy Recipes
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
- Small saucepan
- 1 cup ham drippings see Notes
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk see Notes
- Add the ham drippings and butter to a saucepan over medium heat and whisk until butter has melted.
- Add in the flour and whisk for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and continue to whisk constantly for 2 minutes or until thick.
- Ham Drippings: Ham drippings are the juices released by a ham while it bakes, they can be found at the bottom of the pan you baked your ham in. If you don’t have ham drippings, you can use rendered bacon fat instead.
- Whole Milk: You can use chicken broth or 2% milk instead.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!