Craving tender, juicy chicken thighs with crispy skin… but only have frozen chicken thighs on hand? This Instant Pot recipe produces unbelievably moist and tender chicken with (really!) crispy, delicious skin, and there’s no need to even thaw the chicken thighs!
What Makes These Instant Pot Chicken Thighs So Good
- Cooking your chicken thighs in the Instant Pot with just a couple ingredients makes dinner so incredibly easy, yet still SO tasty. This recipe is also perfect for meal prep or cooking your chicken to use in another recipe.
- I literally gasped when I tried these chicken thighs for the first time and said out loud (TO MYSELF!), “Oh, mama!” You know it’s good when you can’t stop yourself from shouting for joy!
- Forgot to thaw chicken for dinner? No problem! This recipe is meant for frozen chicken thighs. No more long waits or accidentally nuking your chicken in the microwave!
Key Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
Chicken Thighs – I know a lot of people shy away from dark meat chicken, but honestly I love chicken thighs. They have so much flavor and they’re so juicy, especially if you’re using bone-in thighs (which we are!) and they’re a little higher in nutrients than chicken breasts. They’re a little fattier than chicken breasts, too, so they’re great for anyone following a keto way of eating!
Chicken Broth – This method steams the chicken thighs, so you need a liquid in there to get the job done! I like to use chicken broth for added flavor, but you can use water instead if you want. Just make sure to use at least 1 cup of whichever liquid you choose if you’re using a 6-quart Instant Pot. An 8-quart Instant Pot will need 1.5 cups of liquid.
- This recipe was created for frozen bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, but you can use boneless thighs if you prefer! You’ll just need to adjust the cook time. After broiling, be sure to test the chicken with a thermometer, and aim for a minimum of 165° Fahrenheit for food safety.
- Cooking more than 4 chicken thighs? If they don’t fit in a single layer, that’s ok. You can stack the chicken thighs in the Instant Pot without fear of them cooking unevenly. The cook times will remain the same.
- For a different flavor, use pineapple juice or apple juice in the bottom of the Instant Pot, instead of chicken broth. You could also add a little minced garlic or onion to the broth!
More Incredible Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Sushi Rice
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Dreamy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Brown Rice
- 50 Low Carb Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- The Best EVER Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breast
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on frozen chicken thighs. Add broth to bottom of Instant Pot, then set trivet inside. Place seasoned chicken thighs on trivet.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 13 minutes. See Notes if cooking boneless chicken thighs. While chicken is in Instant Pot, preheat broiler.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes. Place chicken thighs on a baking sheet and pat dry. Add more salt or seasoning if desired.
- Place chicken thighs under the broiler, about 10 to 12 inches from heat. Broil 5-10 minutes or until skin is golden brown.
- Boneless Thighs: For boneless thighs, cook on High Manual Pressure in the Instant Pot for 8 minutes.
- Chicken Broth: For a 6-quart Instant Pot, use 1 cup of broth. For an 8-quart Instant Pot, use 1.5 cups of broth.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!