Making BBQ chicken in the Instant Pot couldn’t be easier with this recipe! It uses only 3 ingredients but is loaded with flavor, plus a hack for shredding the chicken easily. Can be made Whole30, paleo, low carb, keto.
Why This Recipe Is So Good!
- Because this shredded BBQ chicken is made in an electric pressure cooker, it’s ready in just 20 minutes.
- This recipe is so easy! Just dump the ingredients in the Instant pot and let it do it’s job!
- This recipe only requires 3 simple ingredients.
- This BBQ chicken can easily be made paleo, Whole30, low carb and keto.
What’s the best sauce to use for this recipe?
You can use your favorite BBQ sauce for this shredded chicken, Bull’s-Eye, Hunts and Trader Joe’s all work well. Make this chicken whole30 and paleo by using my BBQ sauce recipe, or you can use this recipe to make it low carb and keto. You can also buy this sugar-free BBQ sauce.
This tasty chicken is perfect to serve as a sandwich and a great way to top off a salad.
For whole30 and paleo, serve it between sweet potato rounds and alongside my healthy coleslaw. It’s also delicious as part of my whole30 bbq bowls with cubed sweet potato, coleslaw, and quick homemade dill pickles.
Can You Make this Recipe Ahead of Time?
This recipe is great for meal prep! Let it cool to room temperature and then store it in an aright container in the fridge, it will keep for 3 to 4 days. You can also freeze it and defrost it in the fridge. Serve on top of cauliflower rice or a side salad with veggies.
- If you do not have Italian dressing on hand, you can substitute 1 1/2 tbsp oil, 1/2 tbsp vinegar, and a small pinch of Italian seasoning.
- To shred using a hand mixer, place the beaters in the Instant Pot (turned off) and mix on low. You might want to place a clean kitchen towel around the top to form a sort of lid to prevent any splatter.
More easy chicken recipes
- The Best Easy Roast Chicken with Gravy
- Crockpot Chicken Wings
- Marry Me Chicken (Chicken in a Sun Dried Tomato Cream Sauce)
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Healthy Chicken Cobb Salad
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts approximately 1-1 ½ pounds
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce store-bought or homemade (see Notes for recipes)
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing see Notes
- salt to taste
- Instant Pot or similar pressure cooker
- Add all ingredients to Instant Pot and stir to distribute. Secure lid on Instant Pot with vent in "Sealing" position, and set Instant Pot to Manual High Pressure for 10 minutes. After 10 minute cook-time is up, carefully Quick Release pressure and remove lid.
- Shred chicken using method of choice (see Notes) and return shredded chicken to Instant Pot (if you removed it to shred it). Set Instant Pot to Sauté mode, stir to coat shredded chicken in sauce, then heat 5 minutes. Serve shredded chicken warm.
- If you don’t have Italian dressing on hand, you can substitute 1 ½ tablespoons oil, ½ tablespoon vinegar, and a small pinch of Italian seasoning.
- Click for here for my homemade Whole30 BBQ sauce recipe.
- Click for here for my homemade keto BBQ sauce recipe.
- Hand Shredded: Using your hands/fingers, pull the chicken apart until completely shredded. Pieces can be as big or as small as you like.
- Two Forks: Use one fork to steady the chicken while shredding the chicken with another fork. Work in small, short strokes, moving forks away from each other.
- Hand Mixer: Break the chicken into manageable chunks and place them in a large bowl. Use the standard attachments on your mixer and set mixer to a medium speed. Mix until chicken is completely shredded.
- Stand Mixer: Use the standard paddle attachment and mix on medium-low speed until chicken chunks are completely shredded.
- Food Processor: Break up the cooked chicken breasts into chunks first, and work in multiple batches. Add chicken to food processor and use the plastic dough blade attachment to avoid your chicken turning to mush. Process for 30 seconds or until uniformly shredded. Repeat until all chicken is shredded.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.