This Everything Bagel chicken with scallion cream cheese sauce is pure NYC bagel heaven! Chicken breasts are coated in Everything But the Bagel seasoning and baked to perfection then smothered in a delicious scallion cream cheese sauce. Keto and low carb with paleo and dairy-free options.
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. Should you click through to that product and make a purchase, 40 Aprons will receive a small compensation, at no additional cost to you. Anything mentioned here is referred solely based on my experience and satisfaction with the company and/or product, and not because of any potential commission. I’ll identify any affiliate links when they appear within the post!
Everything Bagel Chicken with Scallion Cream Cheese Sauce (Keto)
True or false: the Everything bagel is the perfect bagel.
True, duh. Well, maybe. If I’m in the mood for sweet, it’s cinnamon raisin all the way. But savory? Everything bagel is king.
And Everything But the Bagel seasoning? She might be the queen. With a classic garlicky, oniony flavor and tons of crunch from the sesame and poppy seeds, I want to coat just about everything in Everything Bagel seasoning.
Including, or maybe especially, this Everything Bagel Chicken with Scallion Cream Cheese Sauce. Yep – this recipe takes the very best parts of a classic Everything bagel and scallion cream cheese (Except maybe the squishy carbs and post-bagel bloat…) and turns it into a keto and low carb dinner that’s super easy to throw together.
Why This Everything Bagel Chicken Is So Good
- It’s really easy to make! Prep only takes about 5 minutes for both the chicken and the sauce.
- The Everything Bagel seasoning creates a super flavorful and crunchy crust.
- The scallion cream cheese sauce is crazy easy and absolutely delicious. I’d eat it on everything.
- This recipe is keto and low carb with only 2g net carbs per serving.
Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
Everything But the Bagel Sesame Seasoning started as a Trader Joe’s concoction but quickly spread in popularity. I personally ordered this giant container from Amazon and love how generous I can be with it.
If you don’t have any on hand and want to make this recipe tonight, you can always make your own Everything Bagel seasoning. You’d be a-OK to swap the white poppy seeds for black and vice versa.
How to Make Everything Bagel Chicken with Scallion Cream Cheese Sauce
Start by preheating your oven to 400º F and taking your cream cheese out of the refrigerator. You’ll only use half a block, so save the rest!
Place your chicken breasts top-down (meaning the smooth, rounded side) in a baking dish. A 9×9″ pan will work, as will a larger pan. Brush the surface of the chicken with half the melted butter using a pastry brush, then season with salt. You’ll use less than you normally would because most Everything Bagel seasonings contain salt.
Then, sprinkle half of the Everything But the Bagel seasoning over the chicken. It should be pretty coated.
Carefully flip the chicken and repeat: brush the tops with half the butter, sprinkle with salt, and finish by coating the chicken with the remaining Everything But the Bagel seasoning.
Bake for about 25-35 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken breasts. 25 minutes for small, 30 for medium, 35 for large – that will get you pretty close!
I recommend using an internal meat thermometer with a probe to produce the best chicken. Your chicken will be done when the internal temperature reaches 160º F; it will rise to 165º as it rests.
Meanwhile, melt the 1 tablespoon butter in a medium bowl. Next, mix together all sauce ingredients, whisking well to combine. Taste and season with salt.
When the chicken is fully baked, remove from the oven and let sit, preferably on a cutting board or plate, for 5 minutes. Serve, smothering with plenty of scallion cream cheese sauce!
Tips & Variations
- Make sure you soften your cream cheese before trying to stir in the scallions, butter, and seasoning. If you forget to take your cream cheese out to soften, microwave it in a medium bowl at 50% power in 20-second intervals until softened.
- Use an internal thermometer for the best chicken ever. I use this internal thermometer with a probe when baking meat and poultry in the oven; it sounds an alarm when the desired temperature is reached. Set your temperature to 160º F for moist chicken; it will rise to 165º upon resting.
- If you’re paleo, use ghee instead of butter, nondairy cream cheese like Kite Hill, and your favorite plain, unsweetened nondairy milk like macadamia or almond milk.
- If you’re dairy-free, use avocado oil or vegan butter in place of butter and follow the remaining swaps in the tip above.
Like This Recipe? Then You’ll Love…
- Mashed Potato Pancakes
- Grilled Baked Potatoes
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Chickpea Gyros
- Loaded Greek Chicken Bowls
- Blackened Chicken
- Healthy Creamy Tuscan Chicken with Artichokes
- Creamy Tomato Artichoke Chicken
- Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken
- Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Keto Banana Bread
- Blackened Shrimp with Remoulade Sauce
- Marry Me Chicken
And if you’re counting grams of net carbs, make sure you bookmark our Net Carb Calculator to easily calculate carbs for a keto or low carb diet.
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Everything Bagel Chicken with Scallion Cream Cheese Sauce
Everything Bagel Chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter melted, see Note
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- ¼ cup Everything But the Bagel seasoning
Scallion Cream Cheese Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Everything But the Bagel seasoning
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened, see Note
- 6 tablespoons chopped green onions 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
- ¼ cup half-and-half or milk see Note
- green onions thinly sliced
- Everything But the Bagel seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Place chicken breasts top-down in a baking dish. 9×9" or larger. Using a pastry brush, brush surface of chicken with butter then sprinkle with salt. Don't use as much salt as you normally would, since most Everything But the Bagel seasonings have salt in them.
- Sprinkle surface of chicken with half the Everything But the Bagel seasoning. Use tongs and carefully flip chicken breasts. Brush tops with the remaining butter, sprinkle with the salt and coat with the remaining Everything but the Bagel seasoning.
- Bake at 400º F for 25-35 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160º F. See Note.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium bowl. Whisk in remaining sauce ingredients until very smooth. Taste and add salt to taste.
- When chicken is baked, remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes. Serve with plenty of scallion cream cheese sauce.
- Make it Paleo: Use ghee or a neutral oil, like avocado oil or refined coconut oil.
- Make it Dairy Free: Use vegan butter or a neutral oil, dairy free cream cheese, and unsweetened, plain, non-dairy milk of choice.
- Cooking times will vary by size of chicken breast.
- Small chicken breasts: approximately 25 minutes
- Medium chicken breasts: approximately 30 minutes
- Large chicken breasts: approximately 35 minutes
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Cheryl Malik is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind the healthy, flavorful, family friendly recipes at 40 Aprons. She’s been a blogger for 10+ years and is known for her delicious recipes and detailed recipe instructions. Cheryl is a mom of three who lives in Memphis, TN.