This intensely flavorful onion gravy will soon become a staple for your holiday tables! With only a handful of simple ingredients, you’ll have a creamy, savory, and delicious gravy. Pour this onion gravy over potatoes, turkey, or really anything to take every meal to the next level!
What Makes This Onion Gravy So Good
- It’s the perfect surprise addition to any holiday table! This fun gravy is an unexpected twist of a classic favorite. Savory and slightly sweet onions make this crowd-pleaser totally irresistable.
- It’s super easy and comes together with very minimal effort! Start by caramelizing the onions, then add in the remaining ingredients. Simmer this onion gravy for about 20 minutes until deeply flavorful and delicious!
- It tastes great over pretty much anything! Mashed potatoes and roasted turkey are the obvious pairing options for this delicious sauce. However, it also tastes incredible over pot roast, roasted veggies, or even meatballs!
Key Ingredients for Onion Gravy
Yellow Onion – Yellow onions release their natural sweetness once cooked and are ideal for caramelizing. Though any type of onion would work in this recipe with slight change in taste. To prepare your onion, start by slicing off the top and root ends then peeling to remove its papery skin. Once peeled, slice it into either thin rounds or half-moon shapes to use in this recipe.
Beef Bouillon – A beef bouillon cube packs in a ton of flavor for this savory onion gravy! This dark brown cube of goodness is basically just concentrated beef broth. It’ll enhance the taste of this gravy without watering it down. You should be able to find beef bouillon cubes at most grocery stores. However, if you can’t find the cubes, you can use a tablespoon of beef bouillon paste instead.
- Cook the onions over medium heat to get them as dark brown and caramelized as possible! Caramelized onions are notably sweeter and simply more delicious. While caramelizing onions can take a bit of time (about 30 minutes), the extra wait is always worth it!
- Be sure to fully dissolve your corn starch in water before adding it to this recipe. Corn starch and water is often referred to as a “cornstarch slurry” and acts as the thickening agent in this gravy. To prepare the slurry, simply mix together a tablespoon of corn starch and a tablespoon of cold water until the starch has dissolved.
- Feel free to adjust any seasoning in this recipe however you’d like! I find this onion gravy tastes great and super flavorful as-is. Though if you’d prefer, add in some fresh cracked black pepper or a touch more Worcestershire sauce to amp things up even more!
Other Gravy Recipes You Should Make This Holiday Season
- Chicken Gravy
- Ham Gravy
- Brown Gravy
- Keto Gravy
- Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- Red Eye Gravy with Country Ham
- Easy Paleo Gravy (Whole30, Grain Free, Vegan Friendly)
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
- medium saucepan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoons corn starch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add in the onion and cook for about 30 minutes or until brown.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, beef bouillon, and beef stock then bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cornstarch and water mixture, and continue to whisk until thick, about one to two minutes.
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!