You would NEVER know these fluffy buttermilk pancakes are gluten-free! They’re easy to make but delicious enough for Saturday morning breakfast for the whole family. Top with maple syrup for gluten-free heaven. Vegan option.
- These are the best gluten-free pancakes we’ve ever eaten — rich, sweet, oh-so-fluffy, and decadent.
- This recipe is surprisingly easy, yet doesn’t taste like it’s gluten free (unlike other recipes we’ve tasted).
- These fluffy gluten-free pancakes can even be made vegan with just a few easy swaps.
How To Make The Best Gluten Free Pancakes
- Whisk the egg or egg replacement, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil together in a large bowl.
- Add the gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl. Mix until completely combined.
- Add milk and stir until fully combined. If you prefer thinner pancakes, add an additional 1-2 tablespoons of milk. (We like ours thick!)
- Scoop the batter into a ¼ cup measuring cup and pour onto a greased pan or griddle for one pancake. Cook until batter starts to bubble and flip. Continue cooking until golden brown. Repeat with each pancake.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup, whipped cream and fruit, or your favorite topping.
Top Tips For Making
- To make pancakes vegan, use flax egg instead of egg, non-dairy milk, and vinegar instead of buttermilk.
- Making sure your gluten-free flour contains xanthan gum ensures that your pancakes are the perfect texture and nice and fluffy. If you can’t find any that contains it, you can add 1-2 teaspoons xanthan gum to your batter. Don’t add too much, though! It can make your batter gummy.
More Gluten Free Recipes
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls (Cinnabon Copycat)
- Dreamy Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- Chicken Piccata (Paleo, Gluten Free)
- Paleo Blueberry Muffins (Gluten Free, Grain Free)
- Perfect Paleo Brownies (Fudgy, Crackly Top, Gluten Free)
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Gluten Free Pancakes
- Griddle or pan
- 2 tablespoons white sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil like avocado or coconut
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (Make sure you use a blend that includes xantham gum)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- salt large pinch
- 3/4 cup milk of choice dairy, almond, oat, etc.
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or use 3/4 cup buttermilk in place of milk of choice and vinegar
- Whisk together the egg or flax egg, sugar, vanilla extract, and oil in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the egg mixture. Whisk until fully combined. Stir in milk and vinegar; whisk until smooth. If you prefer thinner pancakes, add an additional 1-2 tablespoons milk.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Grease before cooking each pancake, then use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to pour batter on griddle.
- Cook the pancakes until the batter starts to bubble and pancakes start to puff. Flip the pancakes and cook the pancakes until they are just cooked through, golden brown on the bottom.
- Top with butter, syrup or favorite topping. Enjoy!
- For vegan: Use flax egg instead of egg, non-dairy milk, and vinegar instead of buttermilk.
- If your gluten-free flour does not contain xanthan gum: Add 1-2 teaspoons xanthan gum to your batter.
- If using buttermilk, omit milk of choice and vinegar completely. Stir in 3/4 buttermilk after whisking in flour and baking powder. Use 1-2 tablespoons more to thin batter if needed.