This chicken and rice is positively dreamy! It’s creamy and rich, like a risotto, but made in the Crockpot! It cooks to perfection while you do… well, anything else! Perfectly cheesy but still made with simple, real ingredients, it’s hearty and family-friendly. Perfect as leftovers, too.
Why This Recipe Is So Good
- This Crockpot version of my Instant Pot chicken and rice was highly requested by readers! It’s another method of making creamy, cheesy, delicious comfort food.
- This recipe only takes a few ingredients and a few easy steps. Just cook the onion and chicken, pop everything into the Crockpot, and in a couple of hours, you have the perfect, family-friendly dinner.
- We are huge fans of recipes that use ingredients that you probably already have. This Crockpot chicken and rice recipe is so easy to throw together for an effortless, yet filling and delicious dinner.
How To Make It
- Add butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and garlic, then add the chicken and sauté until the sides are opaque.
- Transfer the chicken and onions mixture to the Crockpot, along with all the other ingredients except for the Parmesan. Cover the Crockpot and cook for 3-4 hours on high, or until everything is creamy and the rice is tender.
- Stir in the Parmesan and cook for another 5 minutes or so, until the cheese is melted. Give a good stir and serve.
- The chicken and rice may look like they’re not cooking for the first 2 hours, so don’t stress if it takes 3-4 hours to reach creamy perfection.
- Parmesan cheese is optional but highly recommended for ultimate creaminess. Fresh Parmesan will make this taste more like risotto, but you can also use shredded cheese if you don’t have Parmesan on hand.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Easy Black Bean Soup
- 8 Can Taco Soup
- Easy Seared Scallops
- Bean and Cheese Taquitos (4 Ingredients)
- 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Marry Me Chicken
- Antipasto Salad with Easy Italian Vinaigrette
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts about 2-3 breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice from one lemon
- 1 ½ cups white rice rinsed
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt plus more or less to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper plus more or less to taste
- Crockpot or slow cooker
- Sauté onions and garlic in the butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sauté until sides are opaque.
- Transfer the chicken, onions, and garlic along with all the ingredients except the cheese to a Crockpot. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high, or until creamy and rice is tender.
- Stir in shredded cheese and cook another 5 minutes or so, until cheese is melted. Stir and serve.
- Parmesan: Optional but highly recommended. Can sub with shredded cheese.
- Cooking notes: Chicken and rice may not appear to cook for first 2 hours.
- Rice used here is plain white rice, not instant.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.