This chicken cordon bleu casserole is easy, rich, and delicious! Layers of chicken, ham, and a savory cheese sauce are topped with buttery Panko breadcrumbs, then baked in the oven until warm and bubbly. This recipe is a much simpler, yet just as comforting and satisfying version of traditional chicken cordon bleu.
What Makes This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe So Good
- How incredibly easy it is to make! Add shredded chicken to a casserole dish, then top it with ham, a simple cheese sauce and some Panko breadcrumbs. Just 10 minutes of prep is all you’ll need to throw this dish together, then your oven will take it from there!
- The cheese sauce alone is deliciously rich and savory. Seriously, you’ll want to add this cheese sauce to everything! The combination of Monterey jack cheese and Swiss cheese create a super flavorful and tangy sauce.
- The Panko breadcrumbs create the perfect buttery, crunchy topping to this chicken cordon bleu casserole. The inside is smooth and creamy, so the breadcrumb topping rounds out the textures of this dish. However, you can easily leave out the Panko breadcrumbs if you’d like!
Key Ingredients for Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Shredded Chicken – I used this method to create shredded chicken for my casserole. Though you can use whatever method you’d like. You can even buy pre-cooked and shredded chicken from the store if you’d like, making this casserole even easier to make!
Cubed Ham – This is the perfect recipe to use any leftover ham you have from Easter! If you plan on buying ham for this recipe, I recommend purchasing a fully cooked, boneless ham. This will make chopping the ham much easier.
Panko Breadcrumbs – Panko breadcrumbs are light, airy, and toast up beautifully. They create a nice golden brown topping on this chicken cordon bleu casserole. Feel free to use regular breadcrumbs instead of the Panko breadcrumbs, you can also leave the breadcrumbs out altogether.
- Separate your butter into two tablespoon-sections before getting started with this recipe. The reason for this is we use the butter in two different places in this recipe. You will use the first two tablespoons to make your cheese sauce, and then the remaining two tablespoons to add to your breadcrumbs.
- If when the chicken cordon bleu casserole is done cooking, the topping isn’t as golden brown as you’d like it – turn your oven on broil for a couple of minutes. Though if you choose to do this, keep a very close eye on your casserole since it can burn quickly!
- To reheat this chicken cordon bleu casserole, place it in a preheated 350° Fahrenheit oven for 5-10 minutes. Reheating in the oven will ensure that the breadcrumb topping remains crispy. You can even prep this casserole ahead of time, cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking.
More Delicious Casserole Recipes
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
- Eggs Benedict Casserole
- Mom’s Best Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Poppy Seed Chicken
- Sweet Potato Casserole
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 9×13 baking dish
- Small saucepan
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour see Notes
- 2 cups milk see Notes
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup Swiss cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs see Notes
- 6 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups ham cubed
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, add in the all-purpose flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk and Dijon mustard, reduce to a simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat, then mix in the Swiss cheese and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter in a microwave-safe bowl, in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add in the Panko breadcrumbs and mix to combine.
- Place shredded chicken at the bottom of your casserole dish, then top with the cubed ham. Pour cheese sauce over the top of the casserole and sprinkle the Panko breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Make it Gluten-Free: Use 3 tablespoons of sweet rice flour in place of the all purpose flour and gluten-free breadcrumbs in place of the Panko breadcrumbs to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Milk: Whole milk, 1% milk, and 2% milk work best in this recipe.
- Make it Low-Carb: To make this recipe low-carb, leave out the Panko breadcrumbs and instead top with additional shredded cheese.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!