This buffalo hummus is creamy, tangy, spicy, and absolutely full of flavor. A fun take on traditional hummus, this easy dip or spread is perfect for tailgating and football season or, really, any time you’re craving a bold appetizer or snack!
😍 What Makes This Recipe So Good
- Football season means it’s time for one of our favorite flavors… buffalo! I love, love, love heat and spice and kick, so buffalo sauce is right up my alley. I’ll put it on just about anything. Buffalo hummus is my current buffalo obsession, combining rich and creamy classic hummus with the hot sauce I love so much for a totally irresistible snack.
- This dip is naturally vegetarian and vegan (just leave off the blue cheese crumbles), and you can easily make it gluten free – all you have to do is double check your tahini and hot sauce for any gluten-containing additives. Perfect for parties where you might need to accommodate a variety of dietary needs.
- You can absolutely make buffalo hummus ahead of your event, freeing up a spot on your last-minute to-do list. Just refrigerate it in an airtight container until you’re ready to serve it! To keep the flavor and texture their absolute best, I wouldn’t make it more than 24 hours in advance.
💭 Chef’s Tips
- Sensitive to heat? Don’t worry, you’re totally in control here. I recommend 5-6 tablespoons of hot sauce, but you could cut it down to 2-3 and still get a decent buffalo flavor without so much kick.
- Let the hummus chill in the fridge at least 30 minutes, but closer to an hour if you can. The longer it chills, the more time the flavors have to really meld and develop, and the more amazing your buffalo hummus will be.
- You can use store-bought hot sauce or buffalo sauce (I did), or you can make your own buffalo sauce at home. Feel free to use a flavored hot sauce to change up the dip a little, especially if you’re making it often. And believe me, you’ll want to make it often.
🔥 More Tasty Buffalo Recipes You’ll Love
- Oven-Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas rinsed, liquid drained and reserved
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 5-6 tablespoons hot sauce see Notes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- blue cheese crumbles to garnish
- sliced green onions to garnish
- celery sticks to serve
- carrot sticks to serve
- tortilla chips to serve
- Food processor
- Silicone spatula
- serving bowl with lid or plastic wrap to cover
- Add chickpeas, ¼ cup reserved liquid, tahini, hot sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt to food processor bowl.
- Secure lid on bowl and process until ingredients are fully combined and mixture is very smooth. Add extra reserved chickpea liquid as needed to thin consistency.
- When satisfied with consistency, scrape mixture into serving bowl. Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, garnish hummus with blue cheese crumbles and sliced green onions. Serve chilled with celery sticks, carrot sticks, and/or tortilla chips.
- Hot Sauce: 5 tablespoons will give you a milder hummus, while 6 tablespoons will have a little kick. Taste and adjust as needed!
- Make it Vegan: This recipe is naturally vegan – just leave off the blue cheese crumbles.
- Make it Gluten Free: Be sure your tahini and hot sauce are gluten free.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.
Leave a Comment