If you’re looking for an authentic buffalo sauce recipe, this is the one! Based on the famous spicy sauce, this buffalo sauce is easy to make and delicious on wings, in dips, on salads, and so much more.
Classic spicy, tangy, tart buffalo sauce is the ultimate condiment for way more than just chicken wings! Delicious in a variety of recipes, buffalo sauce gets its flavor from several different other sauces. Named after its hometown of Buffalo, New York, this recipe is vinegar-y, hot, and rich. This super easy recipe makes it easy to customize to fit your dietary needs, so you can have this delicious sauce whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, on Whole30, or paleo.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Hot pepper sauce – A vinegar-y hot sauce made from cayenne red peppers (like Frank’s RedHot) is the classic spicy base for buffalo sauce that gives it a bit of tartness.
Butter – Butter gives the sauce a creamy richness that thickens up the other ingredients.
White vinegar – Helps give this recipe its classic tang.
Worcestershire sauce – A more savory, yet still tangy component of the buffalo sauce, Worcestershire adds flavors of anchovies (yes, anchovies!), molasses, malt vinegar, and other seasonings.
How To Make It
The full recipe & ingredients list are below, but here you’ll find a quick overview for making this recipe perfectly, along with useful tips and info!
Mix together all of the ingredients in a pot and place on the stove over medium heat.
Bring everything to a simmer while whisking continuously until everything is well combined.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one month.
- For vegetarian, leave out the Worcestershire sauce.
- Vegan, leave out the Worcestershire and use vegan butter instead regular butter (you’ll use the same amount).
- Whole30 or paleo buffalo sauce, use coconut aminos instead of Worcestershire sauce and use 1/2 cup of ghee instead of the butter.
Perfect Recipes For This Buffalo Sauce
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Ranch Whole30 Meal Prep (Paleo, Keto)
- Healthy Creamy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Ranch (Whole30, Paleo)
- Paleo Buffalo Chicken Casserole with Ranch and Cauliflower Rice (Whole30, Low Carb)
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
More Condiment Recipes
- Healthy Soy Sauce Substitute Recipe (Whole30, Paleo)
- One Minute Whole30 Mayo (Made with Immersion Blender)
- Whole30 Ketchup Recipe (No Dates, Paleo, Vegan)
- Homemade Taco Sauce
- Mango Habanero Sauce
- Mix together all ingredients in a pot. Bring to simmer over medium heat while whisking continuously. After fully combined, store in airtight container in fridge up to 1 month.
- Make it Vegetarian: Omit Worcestershire sauce.
- Make it Vegan: Omit Worcestershire sauce and use vegan butter instead regular butter, 1:1.
- Make it Whole30/Paleo: Use coconut aminos instead of Worcestershire sauce and use 1/2 cup of ghee instead of the butter.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.