If you’re looking for an authentic buffalo sauce recipe, this is the one! Based on the famous spicy sauce, this buffalo sauce is easy to make and delicious on wings, in dips, on salads, and so much more.
Classic spicy, tangy, tart buffalo sauce is the ultimate condiment for way more than just chicken wings! Delicious in a variety of recipes, buffalo sauce gets its flavor from several different other sauces. Named after its hometown of Buffalo, New York, this recipe is vinegar-y, hot, and rich. This super easy recipe makes it easy to customize to fit your dietary needs, so you can have this delicious sauce whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, on Whole30, or paleo.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Hot pepper sauce – A vinegar-y hot sauce made from cayenne red peppers (like Frank’s RedHot) is the classic spicy base for buffalo sauce that gives it a bit of tartness.
Butter – Butter gives the sauce a creamy richness that thickens up the other ingredients.
White vinegar – Helps give this recipe its classic tang.
Worcestershire sauce – A more savory, yet still tangy component of the buffalo sauce, Worcestershire adds flavors of anchovies (yes, anchovies!), molasses, malt vinegar, and other seasonings.
How To Make Buffalo Sauce
The full recipe & ingredients list are below, but here you’ll find a quick overview for making this recipe perfectly, along with useful tips and info!
Mix together all of the ingredients in a pot and place on the stove over medium heat.
Bring everything to a simmer while whisking continuously until everything is well combined.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one month.
Top Tips For Making
- For vegetarian, leave out the Worcestershire sauce.
- Vegan, leave out the Worcestershire and use vegan butter instead regular butter (you’ll use the same amount).
- Whole30 or paleo buffalo sauce, use coconut aminos instead of Worcestershire sauce and use 1/2 cup of ghee instead of the butter.
Perfect Recipes For This Buffalo Sauce
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Ranch Whole30 Meal Prep (Paleo, Keto)
- Healthy Creamy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Ranch (Whole30, Paleo)
- Paleo Buffalo Chicken Casserole with Ranch and Cauliflower Rice (Whole30, Low Carb)
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
More Condiment Recipes
- Healthy Soy Sauce Substitute Recipe (Whole30, Paleo)
- One Minute Whole30 Mayo (Made with Immersion Blender)
- Whole30 Ketchup Recipe (No Dates, Paleo, Vegan)
- Homemade Taco Sauce
- Mango Habanero Sauce
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
- Mix together all ingredients in a pot. Bring to simmer over medium heat while whisking continuously. After fully combined, store in airtight container in fridge up to 1 month.
- Vegetarian: Omit Worcestershire sauce.
- Vegan: Omit Worcestershire sauce and use vegan butter instead regular butter 1:1.
- Whole30/paleo: Use coconut aminos instead of Worcestershire sauce and use 1/2 cup of ghee instead of the butter.
Remember – no wine on Whole30, no exceptions!
I recommend buying wine from Scout and Cellar, especially for lower carb or sugar and the health conscious. There’s no added sugar to these wines, and they’re all much lower in carbs, calories, and sugar. For me, there’s no headache or fogginess the next day!
I like a slightly sweet wine with my buffalo sauce, like:
– Sparkling rosé (in cans!), like NV 14K Bubbly Rosé from California
– Prosecco, like NV Rivamonte Prosecco from Veneto, Italy
– Chardonnay, like 2019 Fiddleneck Chardonnay from Lake County, California