Easy to make and full of flavor, these delicious grilled green tomatoes are the perfect addition to any summer barbecue! Tossed in a tasty balsamic marinade and paired with rich fresh mozzarella and basil, this recipe is a must-try.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- Grilling vegetables is such a great way to bring out a ton of flavor – a little smoky, a little rich. Plus, the quick-and-easy balsamic marinade gives these slightly tangy green tomatoes the perfect amount of sweetness!
- Serve this vegetarian dish as an appetizer, a side, or a main meatless entree. The rich mozzarella and fragrant basil bring out some favorite Italian flavors and the green tomatoes will remind you of the classic southern fried dish!
- This recipe is perfect for any home gardener who loves to grow tomatoes. No waste of fresh produce and a fun way to enjoy them!
- Don’t skip the marinade! Yes, it adds an hour to your prep time. But it’s WORTH IT. Marinating the tomatoes brings out their natural deliciousness and deepens the flavors in the dish.
- Love caprese sandwiches? I know, how could you not? Replace the traditional red tomato in your next caprese sandwich with these grilled green tomatoes for even more incredible flavor.
- You want to slice the tomato into roughly quarter-inch-thick rounds. Thinner than that, they’re hard to work with and you risk overcooking them. Thicker, they’ll take longer to grill. At a quarter inch, you’ll only need to grill the tomatoes for 5 minutes or so. Quick and easy!
More Incredible Tomato Recipes
- Stuffed Tomatoes
- Avocado Salad
- Marry Me Chicken (Chicken In A Sun Dried Tomato Cream Sauce)
- Roasted Salsa
- Cherry Tomato Salad
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 packed teaspoon brown sugar or Brown Swerve
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1 pound green tomatoes sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 1 16-ounce ball fresh mozzarella sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- fresh basil leaves chopped
- large bowl with lid (or plastic wrap to cover)
- serving plate or platter
- Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes (if using) to large bowl. Whisk well to thoroughly combine ingredients.
- Place tomato slices in marinade and toss or flip to coat well. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- When ready, preheat grill to 400° Fahrenheit. Remove tomato slices from marinade (do not discard liquid) and place on preheated grill. Grill tomatoes 2 to 3 minutes, then flip and grill other sides 2 to 3 more minutes, until tomatoes are tender.
- Remove tender tomato slices from grill. Arrange on platter, alternating tomato slices with mozzarella rounds. Drizzle reserved marinade over tomatoes and cheese then sprinkle with chopped basil leaves and serve.
- Make it Keto: Use Brown Swerve instead of brown sugar.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.