This steakhouse-style Whole30 steak salad is indulgent and full of flavor, you might just forget it’s Whole30-approved. Cajun-seasoned steak seared to a perfect medium rare, garlicky ranch dressing, and rich, soft-boiled eggs? Forget the steakhouse; we’re staying in tonight for this paleo steak salad!
Paleo and Whole30 Steak Salad Steakhouse-Style
I have these strange lunch habits when I work at a particular location, and when I worked at Guitar Center many (, many) moons ago? It was walking to the Colton’s in the same parking lot at 4 p.m., or whenever my equally strange lunch hour was scheduled, stuffing myself with sweet yeast rolls and gorging on a sirloin steak salad.
“I hate to be so obnoxious, but um… between rare and medium-rare?” I’d respond to the question of my steak’s temperature with a question. “Because, you know, it’s sirloin so… OK… just… yes, I will in fact take another basked of rolls…”
And something about the crisp lettuce, positively drenched in garlicky ranch, layered with tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, croutons, and shredded cheese, topped with the tender sliced steak… Well, it was my go-to the entire time I worked there. The manager knew me; the waiters came to anticipate my vaguely pretentious steak temperature request. And because I was oh, 20 years old or something, I could eat three baskets of rolls a day and not gain an ounce…
Now that I’m almost ten years older and focused on eating healthier, we skip the Colton’s and opt for steakhouse-style Whole30 steak salads at home instead. On a Whole30, I get so sick of choking down slabs of protein for dinner by day, like, 2. I end up making a bajillion types of meatballs, tons of zoodles, and loads of these Whole30 steak salads.
Something about the crisp coolness of the salad seems to cut the meatiness of the dish for me without leaving me feeling hungry at all. It’s the perfect dish towards the end of the Whole30, when you never, ever want to see chicken or eggs or sweet potatoes ever again.
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Whole30 Steak Salad Steakhouse-Style (Paleo)
For the Steak
- 1 12-ounce sirloin steak
- 3 tablespoons compliant Cajun seasoning use less to taste if desired, see Notes
- 2 tablespoons ghee
For the Salad
- 1 small head romaine lettuce washed and sliced into approximately 1½" slices
- 1 roma tomato diced
- ⅓ cup diced cucumber
- 8 eggs soft- or hard-boiled
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
- 2 whole avocados peeled and sliced
- ½ cup compliant ranch dressing see Notes
- Season your steak very liberally with Cajun seasoning on both sides, about 1-2 tablespoon per side.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes, or until very hot. Add ghee and then add your steaks. Let cook, without touching or moving, 90 seconds. Flip and cook another 90 seconds.
- Remove from pan and let rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, assemble your salads. Slice steaks after resting and lay on top of assembled salads.
- Cajun Seasoning: Make sure to use a Whole30-compliant Cajun seasoning, without any added sugars. You can purchase a store-bought compliant seasoning or easily make your own.
- Ranch Dressing: My Whole30-compliant homemade dump ranch dressing is perfect for this salad. You can use a store-bought dressing if you prefer and can find one, but make sure it’s totally compliant.
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Cheryl Malik is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind the healthy, flavorful, family friendly recipes at 40 Aprons. She’s been a blogger for 10+ years and is known for her delicious recipes and detailed recipe instructions. Cheryl is a mom of three who lives in Memphis, TN.