These Whole30 chipotle beef & avocado bowls are one of our favorite Whole30 Mexican recipes, loaded with veggies, protein, and healthy fats. Cilantro lime cauliflower rice topped with a saucy, smoky beef & mushroom mixture, all finished with tons of a quick guac, these Whole30 chipotle beef & avocado bowls are bound to be one of your family’s favorite Whole30 Mexican recipes, too!
Whole30 Chipotle Beef & Avocado Bowls
Uh, so guess what.
I love tofu. Not like, I ate it when I was a vegetarian. Not, it was forced upon me at vegan restaurants. Like straight up, I freaking love tofu. I like tofu “chicken” nuggets, and I really like Chick-Fil-A tofu nuggets, too. I like beer battered tofu tacos, and I’m really into lemongrass tofu, as well.
Yeah, so, uh, we were clearly vegetarian there for a while, eh?
I have no shame: I love tofu. I just don’t really love phytoestrogens and anti-nutrients, so we don’t eat it often. I wish we could, though: something about the little blocks just speaks to me, and I can’t really explain it. Plus it’s hella cheap and it stays good in the fridge for forever. But I also don’t really like, want to turn on any genes that are linked to breast cancer, so we minimize our consumption.
The problem is, though, that one of my all-time favorite dishes, Chipotle’s Sofritas, is made with tofu. And my homemade sofritas are made with tofu, too, of course. Definitely a no-no on a Whole30 but not really a great option when you’re just doin’ regular life, either.
I got you. These Whole30 chipotle beef & avocado bowls are the answer.
I was inspired to turn the perfection of this smoky, saucy protein over cauliflower rice, topped with a ginormous helping of a super quick and easy guac into a Whole30 chipotle beef & avocado bowl. Totally compliant, totally delicious, and made with plenty of veggies, protein, and healthy fats.
Here’s how it works:
Blend up a roasted poblano pepper with some tomato salsa, lots of fresh garlic, and smoky chipotle powder. Brown a bit of grass-fed ground beef in a skillet then add in plenty of minced, baby Bella mushrooms, sauté until perfectly perfect. Stir in the savory sauce until rich and bubbling, then pour over some fresh, steamed cauliflower rice with plenty of fresh lime juice and cilantro stirred in. Top it all with a massive helping of guacamole, and you’re absolutely set!
And here’s why I’m obsessed with integrating chopped mushrooms into my ground meat recipes:
- They’re super nutrient dense. The only culinary source of vitamin D (besides artificially supplemented foods like milk), mushrooms are crazy nutritious, packed with antioxidants, B vitamins, selenium, folate, potassium, vitamin C, copper, phosphorous, choline. Fungus workhorse!
- They’re sustainable. I’ll be real with you: we’re trying to cut down on our beef consumption since the beef industry has a powerful impact on our environment. We’re not giving it up altogether, not at all! But we’re trying to minimize what we eat by incorporating other ingredients to fortify our beef dishes. Mushrooms are perfect for the job since they themselves have such a teeny, tiny environmental impact and blend perfectly with the texture of ground meat.
- One word: umami. Everybody’s favorite nebulous taste profile, the savory umami is oh so strong with mushrooms. They complement beef so well and guarantee you a powerful punch of savory flavor in any dish.
- They’re affordable. Grass-fed ground beef will set you back about $7 per pound, maybe more! On the other hand, you can pick up a pound of baby Bellas for about $3.50. You got this math, Y’all: that’s 50% less. We’re big on budgeting our food, so affordability is big for us.
You’re going to love these Whole30 chipotle beef & avocado bowls because they are loaded with flavor, bright, creamy, and so filling! Perfect for this impending warmer weather (Fingers crossed, Y’all.).
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Whole30 Chipotle Beef & Avocado Bowls (Sofritas Copycat, Paleo)
Whole30 Chipotle Beef & Avocado Bowls
- 8 ounces grass-fed ground beef
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms minced
- 2 12-ounce bags frozen cauliflower rice or about 6-8 cups, steamed
- 2 whole limes juice of, divided
- ⅔-1 cup fresh cilantro chopped, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 3 whole avocados halved, pitted, and peeled
- ½ cup minced red onion plus more for garnish, if desired
- Roast the poblano pepper: Preheat the broiler then place poblano pepper on the oven rack about 4" from broiler element. Cook until blackened on top, then, with tongs, flip over. Broil until blackened. Continue rotating and broiling until blackened until all sides are blistered.Alternately, carefully hold the pepper with heat-proof tongs to a gas stove flame (or place on top of stove rack), rotating to blacken all sides. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Make the smoky sauce: When poblano pepper is cooled to the touch, peel off the blackened skin, remove stem, and seeds. Combine all sauce ingredients in a food processor and blend until very smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, breaking up with a spatula. Add in mushrooms and sauté until softened and liquid is evaporated just a few minutes. Stir in smoky sauce and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook a couple of minutes until bubbly and a bit thickened. Remove from heat.
- Make the cilantro-lime cauliflower rice: Stir together steamed cauliflower rice, juice of 1 lime, about 1/3-1/2 cup cilantro, and plenty of salt.
- Make quick guacamole: Mash together avocado meat, juice of one lime, 1/2-2/3 cup cilantro, 1/2 cup red onion, and plenty of salt.
- Serve your Whole30 chipotle beef & avocado bowls: divide cilantro-lime cauliflower rice among bowls, then top with beef mixture. Finish with a couple big, heaping spoonfuls of guacamole. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro and red onion, if desired.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more - all completely ad free!