This BBQ jackfruit tastes so much like pulled pork, we can’t get over it! Sweet, tangy, and tender, with a super satisfying texture. Top with the easy coleslaw on a couple of buns for the perfect vegetarian or vegan BBQ sandwich. Oh, and the BBQ jackfruit recipe uses only 5 ingredients and takes just about 10 minutes.
Why This BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich is so Good
- It’s the perfect vegetarian version of a tangy, saucy pulled pork sandwich — and I should know since I’m from Memphis, the home of BBQ!
- Jackfruit is an amazing meat substitute — like the most tender, juicy pork you’ve ever eaten. This recipe for BBQ jackfruit only has 5 ingredients!
- This sandwich is so easy and so fast to make! Only 15 minutes until you’re in BBQ heaven.
How To Make in Just 15 Minutes
- Mix together the apple cider vinegar, the coleslaw mix, the mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few pinches of pepper in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Drain and seed the jackfruit. You can either use to forks to pull it apart or try using a hand mixer on low.
- Add the barbecue rub, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the jackfruit pulled pork and combine well.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the jackfruit and toss occasionally about 2-3 minutes or until the jackfruit is fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the barbecue sauce to the skillet, the cover. Stir occasionally, cooking about 5 minutes, or until the jackfruit pulled pork is tender.
- Heat up some vegan butter in a skillet, then add buns with the cut side down. Toast until golden and lightly browned in spots. Serve jackfruit on buns with coleslaw and pickles.
But What IS Jackfruit?
- Jackfruit is related to breadfruit and figs with a consistency like chicken or pork.
- By itself, jackfruit doesn’t taste like much of anything, which makes it perfect as a meat substitute with sauces.
- Jackfruit is super nutritious and low in calories and cholesterol.
Top Tips on Making BBQ Jackfruit
- Make sure you buy jackfruit in water, not in juice or brine.
- You can substitute the buns with potato or gluten-free buns, but we love, love, LOVE a soft, buttery brioche bun with our barbecue.
- Use vegan mayonnaise for the coleslaw for vegan.
More Tasty Recipes You’ll Love
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Whole30 Pork and Pineapple Bowls with Plantains, Coconut Cauliflower Rice, and Avocado Lime Mousse
- Whole30 Chili
- Whole30 Chicken Curry (Low Carb, Paleo)
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
- Mix together the vinegar, coleslaw mix, mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few pinches of pepper in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Drain and seed jackfruit. Pull apart with two forks or use a hand mixer on low to break apart.
- Add the BBQ rub, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the jackfruit and combine.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the jackfruit, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the BBQ sauce to the skillet, reduce heat to low, and cover. Stir occasionally and cook about 5 minutes or until tender.
- For the buns, heat up a little vegan butter in a skillet. Add buns, cut side down, and toast until golden and lightly browned in spots. Serve jackfruit on buns with coleslaw and pickles, if desired.
- For vegan: Use vegan mayonnaise.
- Bun alternatives: Use potato buns or gluten-free buns