These chickpea gyros are an unbelievably good vegetarian version of the Greek or Mediterranean classic. Spiced chickpeas stuffed in soft pita with a delicious tzatziki sauce and fresh tomato and cucumbers. Made in about 30 minutes and easy to make vegan.
Why These Gyros Are So Good
- These gyros are insanely delicious with perfectly spiced chickpeas on pitas with fresh veggies, creamy tzatziki, hummus, and a sprinkle of feta.
- This recipe is super simple and fast to make — just cook the chickpeas, mix the tzatziki, and assemble the pitas. In less than 30 minutes, you have the perfect vegetarian and Mediterranean dinner!
- These chickpea gyros are naturally vegetarian with easy subs to make vegan.
- Adding hummus to your pita is completely optional, but we highly recommend it to help keep the chickpeas in place (and also because it’s super delicious). You can use a store-bought hummus or make your own really easily. My recipe for hummus without tahini would be perfect here!
- If vegan, use a vegan greek yogurt (which you can either buy or make yourself) in the tzatziki and either omit the feta or use a vegan replacement.
More Family-Friendly Vegetarian Recipes
- BBQ Jackfruit Bowls
- Super Easy Bean and Cheese Taquitos
- White Bean Chili
- Sheet Pan Vegetarian Fajitas
- Quick Creamy Vegan Coconut Chickpea Curry
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
For the Chickpeas
For the Tzatziki
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ¼ of one medium cucumber peeled, grated, and drained
- 1 small clove garlic
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- salt to taste
For the Veggies
- ½ cup halved grape tomatoes
- ½ cup quartered, sliced cucumber
- ¼ of one medium red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- ½ cup hummus store-bought or make your own, optional
- feta cheese optional
- Make the chickpeas: Drain chickpeas and dry. Heat oil in medium skillet on medium heat until shimmering. Cook chickpeas until slightly brown, then coat with spices. Continue cooking, stirring every 30 seconds until spices are fully mixed and fragrant.
- Make the tzatziki: Mix all ingredients in bowl and place to the side or in fridge until ready to serve.
- Make the veggies: Mix all ingredients together and place to the side until ready to serve.
- Spread hummus in center of pita to hold chickpeas. Top with veggies, tzatziki, and feta.
- For vegan: Sub greek yogurt with vegan alternative, omit feta or sub with vegan feta
- Hummus on pitas: Optional but recommended
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.