These chickpea gyros are an unbelievably good vegetarian version of the Greek or Mediterranean classic. Spiced chickpeas stuffed in soft pita with a delicious tzatziki sauce and fresh tomato and cucumbers. Made in about 30 minutes and easy to make vegan.
Why These Gyros Are So Good
- These gyros are insanely delicious with perfectly spiced chickpeas on pitas with fresh veggies, creamy tzatziki, hummus, and a sprinkle of feta.
- This recipe is super simple and fast to make — just cook the chickpeas, mix the tzatziki, and assemble the pitas. In less than 30 minutes, you have the perfect vegetarian and Mediterranean dinner!
- These chickpea gyros are naturally vegetarian with easy subs to make vegan.
How To Make Chickpea Gyros
- To make the chickpeas, drain them and dry. Heat the oil in a medium skillet on medium until the oil is shimmering. Cook the chickpeas until slightly brown. Coat the chickpeas while still in the skillet with the spices. Continue cooking, stirring about every 30 seconds until the spices are fully mixed and fragrant.
- For the tzatziki, mix all the ingredients in a bowl, then place to the side or in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To make the veggies, mix everything together in a separate bowl and place to the side or in the fridge.
- To assemble your gyros, spread hummus in the center of a pita. This will help keep the chickpeas in the pita. Top with the veggies, tzatziki, and some feta cheese.
Top Tips For Making Chickpea Gyros
- Adding hummus to your pita is completely optional, but we highly recommend it to help keep the chickpeas in place (and also because it’s super delicious).
- If vegan, use a vegan greek yogurt (which you can either buy or make yourself) in the tzatziki and either omit the feta or use a vegan replacement.
More Family-Friendly Vegetarian Recipes
- BBQ Jackfruit Bowls
- Super Easy Bean and Cheese Taquitos
- White Bean Chili
- Sheet Pan Vegetarian Fajitas
- Quick Creamy Vegan Coconut Chickpea Curry
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
This vegetarian version of the Mediterranean classic is a real winner with spiced chickpeas, tzatziki, and fresh veggies in a pita.
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cucumber peeled, grated, and drained
- 1 clove garlic small
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh dill minced
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup cucumber quartered and sliced
- 1/4 red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup hummus optional
- 2 pitas
- feta cheese
Make the chickpeas: Drain chickpeas and dry. Heat oil in medium skillet on medium heat until shimmering. Cook chickpeas until slightly brown, then coat with spices. Continue cooking, stirring every 30 seconds until spices are fully mixed and fragrant.
Make the tzatziki: Mix all ingredients in bowl and place to the side or in fridge until ready to serve.
Make the veggies: Mix all ingredients together and place to the side until ready to serve.
Spread hummus in center of pita to hold chickpeas. Top with veggies, tzatziki, and feta.
- For vegan: Sub greek yogurt with vegan alternative, omit feta or sub with vegan feta
- Hummus on pitas: Optional but recommended