Creamy chicken salad spiked with spicy buffalo sauce makes for the perfect lunch or party dish! This buffalo chicken salad is super easy to make and is completely addictive. Made with deliciously tender, shredded chicken, it’s perfect as a sandwich or with chips or crackers as a dip.
Chicken salad just got taken to the next level. This tangy, spicy salad with tender shredded chicken and chopped veggies is absolutely delicious as a dip, wrapped in lettuce, or between bread. It’s absolutely perfect for keto, low carb, or when you just want something different than buffalo wings. Bring this to your next party or tailgating, and see how quickly it gets devoured!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Chicken – Packed with protein and with a tender texture, chicken is the perfect base for the other flavors of this recipe.
Celery – Celery helps give this salad a nice crunch, along with a mild, sweet flavor.
Sweet onion – These onions lack the strong astringency of other onions, and are nice and mild, with a hint of sweetness (hence the name), making them a good complement to the strong flavor of the buffalo sauce.
Mayonnaise – Mayo helps make this chicken salad super creamy and rich.
Buffalo sauce – Tangy, spicy, and sometimes a little sweet, buffalo sauce takes this chicken salad from plain to a totally different level.
- You can use precooked chicken, or you can cook your own. Just place the chicken breasts in a wide skillet and cover with some chicken broth. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover your skillet and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through with an internal temperature of 160º F. Reserve the broth and use it in your salad!
- There are a couple of different ways to shred chicken that I use. One way is to use two forks. Stab one fork into a piece of cooked chicken and drag the other across the chicken to shred it. Another super-easy way is to put the chicken in a bowl and shred it using a hand mixer on low speed.
More Chicken Recipes
- Southwestern Egg Roll in a Bowl
- One-Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Dreamy Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- Jerk Chicken Bowls with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice
- Cranberry Chicken Salad
- Chicken Salad with Grapes
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings in Buffalo Sauce
- Marry Me Chicken
- Chicken a la King
- Cook and shred the chicken. (See notes.) Add shredded chicken, celery, sweet onion, mayonnaise, buffalo sauce, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and stir.
- Add broth one tablespoon at a time until mixture becomes creamy and desired texture. Add more mayonnaise to taste if desired.
- Chicken: Use precooked chicken or cook your own. Place the chicken breasts in a wide skillet and cover with some chicken broth. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover your skillet and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through with an internal temperature of 160º F. Reserve the broth for the salad.
- How to shred chicken: Use two forks. Stab one fork into a piece of cooked chicken and drag the other across the chicken to shred it. Alternately, put the chicken in a bowl and shred it using a hand mixer on low speed.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.