Creamy chicken salad spiked with spicy buffalo sauce makes for the perfect lunch or party dish! This buffalo chicken salad is super easy to make and is completely addictive. Made with deliciously tender, shredded chicken, it’s perfect as a sandwich or with chips or crackers as a dip.
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. Should you click through to that product and make a purchase, 40 Aprons will receive a small compensation, at no additional cost to you. Anything mentioned here is referred solely based on my experience and satisfaction with the company and/or product, and not because of any potential commission. I’ll identify any affiliate links when they appear within the post!
Chicken salad just got taken to the next level. This tangy, spicy salad with tender shredded chicken and chopped veggies is absolutely delicious as a dip, wrapped in lettuce, or between bread. It’s absolutely perfect for keto, low carb, or when you just want something different than buffalo wings. Bring this to your next party or tailgating, and see how quickly it gets devoured!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Chicken – Packed with protein and with a tender texture, chicken is the perfect base for the other flavors of this recipe.
Celery – Celery helps give this salad a nice crunch, along with a mild, sweet flavor.
Sweet onion – These onions lack the strong astringency of other onions, and are nice and mild, with a hint of sweetness (hence the name), making them a good complement to the strong flavor of the buffalo sauce.
Mayonnaise – Mayo helps make this chicken salad super creamy and rich.
Buffalo sauce – Tangy, spicy, and sometimes a little sweet, buffalo sauce takes this chicken salad from plain to a totally different level.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Salad
The full recipe & ingredients list are below, but here you’ll find a quick overview for making this recipe perfectly, along with useful tips and info!
Cook and shred the chicken. (Check out the top tips.)
Add all the ingredients but the chicken broth in a large bowl and stir them together.
Add the chicken broth one tablespoon at a time to the mixture until it becomes your desired texture and as creamy as you like. (I usually use about 4-6 tablespoons.)
Add more mayo to taste if you like!
Top Tips For Making
- You can use precooked chicken, or you can cook your own. Just place the chicken breasts in a wide skillet and cover with some chicken broth. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover your skillet and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through with an internal temperature of 160º F. Reserve the broth and use it in your salad!
- There are a couple of different ways to shred chicken that I use. One way is to use two forks. Stab one fork into a piece of cooked chicken and drag the other across the chicken to shred it. Another super-easy way is to put the chicken in a bowl and shred it using a hand mixer on low speed.
More Chicken Recipes
- Southwestern Egg Roll in a Bowl
- One-Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Dreamy Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- Jerk Chicken Bowls with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice
- Cranberry Chicken Salad
- Chicken Salad with Grapes
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings in Buffalo Sauce
- Marry Me Chicken
- Chicken a la King
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Cook and shred the chicken. (See notes.) Add shredded chicken, celery, sweet onion, mayonnaise, buffalo sauce, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and stir.
- Add broth one tablespoon at a time until mixture becomes creamy and desired texture. Add more mayonnaise to taste if desired.
- Chicken: Use precooked chicken or cook your own. Place the chicken breasts in a wide skillet and cover with some chicken broth. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover your skillet and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through with an internal temperature of 160º F. Reserve the broth for the salad.
- How to shred chicken: Use two forks. Stab one fork into a piece of cooked chicken and drag the other across the chicken to shred it. Alternately, put the chicken in a bowl and shred it using a hand mixer on low speed.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Cheryl Malik is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind the healthy, flavorful, family friendly recipes at 40 Aprons. She’s been a blogger for 10+ years and is known for her delicious recipes and detailed recipe instructions. Cheryl is a mom of three who lives in Memphis, TN.