This chicken a la king is irresistibly rich and creamy! Serve over rice, noodles, or toast for a delicious meal that comes together in under 20 minutes.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- It’s the perfect recipe to use up any leftover chicken or turkey! Simply take your leftovers, cut them into bite-sized pieces and toss them into the creamy sauce. Leftovers are given new life in this delicious chicken a la king recipe!
- It requires just one skillet, and takes less than 20 minutes to make! Start by sautéing your veggies, then making the sauce, before tossing in the chicken. This super easy recipe yields quick cooking and cleanup!
- It can be enjoyed in a variety of ways! Enjoy this chicken a la king over cooked rice, noodles of your choice, on toast, or simply on its own. No matter how you choose to serve this chicken, it will always taste delicious!
Sliced Mushrooms – Sliced white mushrooms or sliced baby bella mushrooms work perfectly in this recipe! However, really any sliced mushrooms will work. The mushrooms give this dish a nice hearty texture and taste incredibly delicious when smothered in the creamy white sauce.
Heavy Cream – The creaminess of this chicken a la king comes mostly from the heavy cream in this recipe! Heavy cream gives the sauce its luscious and smooth texture. The thickness also helps the sauce stick to the chicken and veggies, making every bite as delicious as the last.
Cooked Chicken – Any cooked chicken or even turkey will work here! I used leftover baked chicken breasts and chopped them into small, approximately one-inch pieces for my dish. Though this is also a great recipe to use up any leftover Thanksgiving turkey once that time of year rolls around!
- Keep an eye on the flour once you add it to your skillet. Flour can brown/burn quickly, which is why we only whisk it into the skillet before adding in the broth and cream. If you’d like to be extra cautious, I recommend reducing your heat just a tiny bit before this step!
- Feel free to use shredded, instead of chopped chicken if you’d like! This entirely comes down to personal preference. I love the heartier texture of chicken cubes throughout my dish, though shredded chicken tastes just as delicious in this chicken a la king!
- Give the sauce a taste and adjust any seasoning immediately before the last step. The reason for this is because as the sauce thickens, the flavors will continue to develop. Therefore, once thick, you’ll have a better idea of how your final dish will taste and if you’d prefer any additional flavor!
Other Easy and Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Fricassee
- Marry Me Chicken
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Instant Pot Burrito Bowls with Chicken
- Large skillet
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, then add in the mushrooms and bell pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- Add in the flour, salt, and black pepper – whisk to combine before adding in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the cooked chicken, frozen peas, and chopped pimentos. Stir for a few minutes or until chicken and peas are heated through. Serve over pasta or rice.
- Make it Dairy-Free: To make this recipe dairy-free, use non-dairy butter in place of the regular butter and full-fat coconut milk instead of heavy cream.
- Make it Gluten-Free: Substitute the flour in this recipe for either rice flour or cassava flour!
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.