All the flavors of Southwestern egg rolls, but in a bowl! This 30-minute dinner recipe is packed with flavor and loaded with chicken, black beans, corn, bell peppers, and spices, drizzled with a quick avocado ranch dressing. A healthy version of Southwestern egg rolls that the whole family will love for dinner.
Inspired by my egg roll in a bowl, this Southwestern version is the perfect easy and fast dinner your whole family will go crazy for! Pieces of tender chicken with black beans, corn, veggies, and crazy good seasoning make this healthy bowl out of this world good. This flavorful recipe only takes about 30 minutes to whip up, so it’s great for weeknights (or meal prep).
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Chicken – Chicken gives bulk and protein to this egg roll in a bowl.
Coleslaw mix – No need to shred cabbage for this bowl! Coleslaw mix adds a tang to the egg roll in a bowl inexpensively and easily.
Black beans – Soft and mildly flavored, these beans add more protein and a bit of salty flavor.
Corn – What’s a good Southwestern egg roll without corn? Sweet and crunchy, corn pairs perfectly with the salty and spicy flavors of the other ingredients.
Spinach – Cooked spinach adds a robust flavor, perfectly complementing the sweet and salty flavors of the other veggies.
Red bell pepper – The ripest of all the bell peppers, red bell peppers are sweet, crunchy, and add a slightly fruity taste to the bowl.
Avocado – Avocados add the perfect rich, fresh taste with a buttery texture.
Green onions – Mild and crunchy, green onions add another layer of texture and taste to the veggies.
Ranch dressing – Ranch mixed with avocado is creamy, tangy, and the perfect topping.
Jalapenos – We like a couple of jalapenos on top of our bowl to spice things up. You can leave them out entirely if you like, or remove the seeds for just a bit of heat.
How To Make Southwestern Egg Roll in a Bowl
The full recipe & ingredients list are below, but here you’ll find a quick overview for making this recipe perfectly, along with useful tips and info!
Heat half of the oil in a skillet.
Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it’s browned on all the sides. Transfer it to a plate.
Heat the rest of the oil in the skillet and add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper.
Cook the veggies until the onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
Add the coleslaw mix, spinach, beans, corn, and seasoning. Cook until the coleslaw is softened.
Add the chicken back to the skillet and stir well.
Squeeze the lime juice over everything and toss.
Split the chicken and veggie mixture between four bowls.
Blend the ranch and avocado and drizzle over the bowls.
Top with slices of the rest of the avocado, tortilla strips, and slices of jalapenos, if desired. Serve with more lime juice on the side.
Top Tips For Making
- To make this recipe even easier, sub the seasonings used for 1 1/2 tablespoon of taco seasoning. You can either buy a packet or make your own.
- If you’re vegetarian, trying swapping the chicken for a plant-based chicken substitute, faux beef crumbles, or even tofu. You can even leave it out entirely!
More Family Favorites
- Mom’s Best Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Jerk Chicken Bowls with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice
- 8 Can Taco Soup
- One-Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta
- BBQ Jackfruit Bowls
- Breakfast Egg Roll in a Bowl (Whole30, Paleo)
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Southwestern Egg Roll in a Bowl
Egg roll in a bowl
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into very small pieces
- 4 teaspoons oil divided
- 4 green onions sliced thinly, divided into white and dark green parts
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin See Notes for seasoning variation
- 2 teaspoons chili powder See Notes for seasoning variation
- 1 teaspoon onion powder See Notes for seasoning variation
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional, See Notes for seasoning variation
- 1/2 teaspoon salt See Notes for seasoning variation
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 lime halved
- 1 avocado sliced
- green onions sliced sliced, extra from above
- tortilla strips
- cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 1/4 avocado peeled and pitted
- salt pinch
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in skillet. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides. Transfer to plate.
- Heat other 2 teaspoons oil and add onion, garlic, bell pepper. Cook until onion becomes translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add coleslaw mix, spinach, beans, soy sauce, corn, and seasoning. Cook until coleslaw is softened. Add chicken and stir well. Squeeze juice of 1/2 lime over and toss.
- Blend ranch and avocado. Drizzle over. Top with remaining sliced avocado, tortilla strips, and sliced jalapenos if desired. Serve with more lime juice
- Seasoning variation: Substitute 1 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning for cumin, chili powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and salt in egg roll mixture.
- Vegetarian: Substitute chicken with plant-based chicken substitute, faux beef crumbles, or tofu. Can also be left out entirely.
Cheryl Malik is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind the healthy, flavorful, family friendly recipes at 40 Aprons. She’s been a blogger for 10+ years and is known for her delicious recipes and detailed recipe instructions. Cheryl is a mom of three who lives in Memphis, TN.