These BBQ chicken bowls are loaded with so much goodness: shredded BBQ chicken, seasoned cubed sweet potatoes roasted until crisp, a simple coleslaw, and quick homemade dill pickles. They’re paleo and filling and surprisingly quick and easy. Whole30 and paleo, too.
Why This Recipe Is So Good
- These paleo and Whole30 BBQ bowls are incredibly flavorful with seasoned sweet potatoes, cool and crunchy coleslaw, and tangy dill pickles. So filling and an amazing flavor combo!
- The homemade dill pickles are surprisingly simple, fast, and absolutely elevate this bowl to the next level!
- These BBQ chicken bowls with sweet potatoes and coleslaw are super easy to make thanks to an Instant Pot or slow cooker, but can easily be made without either one.
How To Make It Without An Instant Pot
- To make your chicken in a Crockpot, combine all your BBQ chicken ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook covered on High for 3 hours or Low for 5 hours.
- To make BBQ chicken without a slow cooker or Instant Pot, shred the chicken breasts with two forks, then place in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover with 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce and stir until chicken is heated through and the sauce is absorbed. Add more sauce if desired.
- Make sure to use Whole30-compliant barbecue sauce if you want true Whole30 BBQ bowls. My recipe is a great option if you want to make your own!
- When making the BBQ chicken, if you do not have Italian dressing, substitute 1 1/2 tablespoon oil, 1/2 tablespoon white or white wine vinegar, and a small pinch of Italian seasoning.
- You can substitute pickles bought from the store for the homemade ones (but I really, really recommend the homemade version). If you’re using store-bought pickles, use high-quality cold pickles, not the bright yellow sort from the aisles.
- You can store any leftover coleslaw mix to use in other dishes besides these Whole30 BBQ bowls. Drain excess liquid and save for another use in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
More Delish Recipes
- Mexican Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- How to Cook Nopales (Cactus Paddles)
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Instant Pot Carnitas
- Palmini Pasta
- Egg Roll in a Bowl with Creamy Chili Sauce
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Whole30 Marry Me Chicken (Paleo, Dairy Free)
- Paleo Lime Bars (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- Grilled Adobo Chicken
For the BBQ Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts about 1 ¼ pounds
- ¾ cup Whole30 BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing see Notes
- salt to taste
- or about 2 1/2 cups shredded BBQ chicken or pork
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon avocado or refined coconut oil
For the Quick Dill Pickles
- Sprig of fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ English cucumber sliced thin
- Pinch yellow mustard seeds
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup white or white wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon salt
- OR use ¼ cup sliced cold dill pickles See Notes
For the Coleslaw
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Dry BBQ seasoning
- Instant Pot
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Make sweet potatoes: On a baking sheet, toss all ingredients and roast for 20 m. After 20 minutes, stir well, then return to oven. Bake another 10-15 minutes or until browning on edges but not too crunchy or crisp.
- Make the pickles: While sweet potatoes roast, combine all pickle ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make BBQ chicken: Next, combine all ingredients in an Instant Pot. Seal and cook at High Pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release when time is up then shred chicken breasts with two forks or use a hand mixer on low speed. Turn on Sauté mode and heat for 5 minutes until chicken is coated in sauce. If you do not have an Instant Pot, see Note for regular shredded chicken or slow cooker directions.
- Make coleslaw: Mix all ingredients besides coleslaw mix in a small bowl. Place coleslaw mix in a medium bowl and pour dressing over. Combine well, using hands if desired.
- Assemble bowls: Divide sweet potatoes, BBQ chicken, and coleslaw evenly among 4 bowls. Top with a couple pickle slices. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
- Cooking chicken in a Crockpot: Combine all your BBQ chicken ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook covered on High for 3 hours or Low for 5 hours.
- To make without a slow cooker or Instant Pot: Shred 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts with two forks, then place in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover with 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce and stir until chicken is heated through and sauce is absorbed. Add more sauce if desired.
- Whole30: Make sure you are using Whole30-compliant BBQ sauce.
- If you don’t have Italian dressing for BBQ chicken: Substitute 1 1/2 tablespoon oil, 1/2 tablespoon white or white wine vinegar, and a small pinch of Italian seasoning.
- Using store-bought pickles instead of homemade: Use high-quality cold pickles, not the bright yellow sort from the aisles.
- To save extra coleslaw: Drain excess liquid and save for another use in an airtight container in the fridge up to 4 days.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.