This egg roll in a bowl with creamy chili sauce is a wonderfully flavorful, quick Whole30 recipe made in one pan. This low carb, keto friendly, and paleo slaw is an addictive Asian dinner recipe the whole family will love. P.S. That creamy chili sauce – WHOA.
This is the story of my husband’s favorite recipe. Ever.
So, my Whole30 egg roll in a bowl recipe, complete with the life-changing creamy chili sauce, is a reader favorite and has been for ages. I get it! It’s low carb and paleo, easy to make for dinner, and so full of flavor. Personally, I feel like it belongs on every Whole30 meal plan.
This slaw recipe is, pretty sure, my husband’s favorite recipe I’ve ever written. Or made, or brought into our house. And the fact that he cooks it easily is a true testament to just how easy of a low carb recipe it is. Really, this man does not cook.
But he definitely decided to cook when I was, you know, 7 weeks pregnant in January. We’d previously decided to do a Whole30 then, but then I got those two lines on the stick, and shortly after I was surviving on Poptarts and lemon water. At one point telling my assistant that I was gagging because “there was hot garbage somewhere in the world.”
But my husband persisted! He did a Whole30 on his own, focusing on his favorite Whole30 recipes rather than a massive variety like your girl likes to include. And so that meant lots and lots of low carb egg roll in a bowl. With all its smells from the meat and the onions…
Any other time, though? This egg roll in a bowl recipe almost always sounds good for dinner. With shredded cabbage, tender ground pork, loads of sesame-y, Asian flavor in the sauce, and – get this – a creamy red chili sauce to top it all off, you and your whole fam will positively love this Whole30 and paleo recipe (with a super easy keto swap!).
Why This is the Best Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe
- The flavors of an egg roll without the unhealthy deep-fried wrapper make such a delicious Whole30 dinner recipe.
- Using coleslaw mix means prep is super simple.
- Topping it all with a spicy mayo takes this egg roll in a bowl recipe, or slaw recipe, to the next level!
- Make it keto super easily by swapping the coconut aminos soy sauce.
- It’s Whole30 compliant, meaning no added sweeteners, grains, gluten, or soy. Perfect for those with allergies or who are just trying to eat healthily!
- This Whole30 egg roll in a bowl recipe is made in one skillet so fewer dishes!
- Try broccoli slaw instead of the shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix. Many reviewers have made it this way and loved it!
- If you’re not on a Whole30 and tolerate soy well, you can substitute soy sauce for the coconut aminos. Make sure you’re light on the salt afterward, though.
- Swap the ground pork for ground turkey or ground chicken, if you don’t eat pork.
- Add in water chestnuts if just Whole30 and paleo for a lovely crunch.
- Use lite tamari or Bragg’s aminos and low carb hot sauce for a keto version.
- You can even use shrimp in this Whole30 egg roll in a bowl recipe in place of the ground pork! Sauté the shrimp until they’re pink and no longer translucent then remove. Add them back in right before serving and toss well.
Top Tips For Making
- This recipe makes enough to serve two with leftovers or four without. It’s fantastic for meal prep, just make sure you keep the creamy spicy mayo / red chili sauce separate.
- If you can’t eat eggs and aren’t on a Whole30, try a vegan mayo in place of the regular mayonnaise for the red chili sauce. Should you be on a Whole30 and are avoiding eggs, simply swap the mayonnaise for coconut cream – the solid white part of a can of coconut.
- Make sure you simmer the sauce down so it’s not very liquid. You want it thick and rich!
- Check out my Whole30 sriracha recipe for the creamy red chili sauce; it’s amazing! If you don’t have time, simply sub your favorite Whole30 compliant hot sauce in for the sriracha.
Is rice wine vinegar Whole30 compliant?
Yep – even though it has “rice” and “wine” in the name. Every vinegar except malt is allowed on the program. Just make sure you’re not using “seasoned” rice wine vinegar, which almost always includes sugar.
Can I make this keto egg roll in a bowl ahead of time?
Yes, this makes a great keto meal prep! It reheats pretty well, making this the perfect dish for leftovers. However, it’s probably a good idea to store the spicy mayo in a separate container.
Make It Keto
To make this egg roll in a bowl keto-friendly, follow these substitutions:
- Use lite tamari or Bragg’s Aminos in place of the coconut aminos.
- Do not use water chestnuts (You can for low carb.).
- Use a keto-friendly hot sauce, like chili-garlic sauce or even Louisiana hot sauce.
How to Make This Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe
Really, this low carb recipe is so easy to make for dinner – check out this video to see just how to make it!
First off, heat your sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Then, add the red onion, green onion – white parts (!) and garlic. Sauté until onion is softened, about 4-5 minutes.
Now, add ground pork, freshly grated ginger and 1 tablespoon of Whole30 Sriracha Hot Sauce or Chili Garlic Sauce.
Brown ground pork and crumble with a spatula.
Add shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix, coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, white pepper, and salt. Cook until the cabbage is tender, stirring regularly, about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, sriracha or hot sauce, and a pinch of salt. Now, transfer to a small piping bag or plastic bag and cut off the tip of the plastic bag.
Finally, transfer egg roll in a bowl to serving bowls and drizzle spicy mayo over.
As the last step, garnish with sliced green onions – the green parts! – and sesame seeds.
Featured on our Whole30 meal plan.
Some of Our Most Popular Recipes
- Mashed Potato Pancakes
- Grilled Baked Potatoes
- Vegan Chili
- Chicken Carbonara
- Southwestern Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Hibachi Chicken with Fried Rice
- BBQ Jackfruit Bowls
- Moon Milk
- Tom Kha
- Chicken Brine
- Sous Vide Chicken
- Bacon Wrapped Dates
- Crab Dip
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Egg Roll in a Bowl (Whole30, Keto, Paleo, Low Carb)
This Whole30 egg roll in a bowl with creamy chili sauce is a wonderfully flavorful, quick Whole30 recipe. This low carb, keto, and paleo recipe is an addictive Asian dinner the whole family will love. Made in one skillet.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6 green onions sliced, green and white parts divided
- 1/2 cup red onion diced. Skip for keto. See Note
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 8-oz. can water chestnuts chopped. Skip for keto
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or hot sauce See Note 1
- 14 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos See Note 2 for keto or low carb
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or black pepper
- salt to taste
- black sesame seeds for garnish
- green parts of sliced green onions from above
Creamy Chili Sauce
Heat sesame oil in a large skillet and place over medium heat. Add white parts of green onions, diced red onion, and garlic and saute, stirring frequently, until the red onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add ground pork, grated ginger, water chestnuts (Skip for keto), and 1 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce or chili-garlic sauce and cook until pork is browned, broken up, and cooked through about 7-10 minutes.
Add coleslaw mix, coconut aminos or soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, white pepper, and salt, to taste, and stir until well combined. Cook, stirring regularly, until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 1-2 tablespoons compliant hot sauce. Add a pinch of salt, to taste. To drizzle, place creamy chili sauce in a small plastic sandwich bag.
To plate: spoon a hearty helping of the pork-cabbage mixture in a serving bowl. Snip off the corner of the sandwich bag with the creamy chili sauce and drizzle over egg roll in a bowl recipe mixture. Garnish with green parts of the green onions and black sesame seeds.
If on Whole30, make sure your hot sauce or sriracha is compliant. Make my Whole30 Sriracha super easily or use something like Frank’s Red Hot. Frank’s Red Hot is also keto-friendly, whereas convention sriracha is not.
If keto or low carb, use Lite Tamari or Bragg’s Aminos for the least number of carbs, as shown in the second nutrition label.
If Whole30, make sure your mayonnaise is compliant. I have an awesome 30-Second Immersion Blender Mayonnaise recipe that is totally foolproof!
If keto, skip to red onion to save about 1g net carb per serving.
NO wine on Whole30 — no exceptions. I recommend buying wine from Scout and Cellar, especially for lower carb or sugar and the health conscious. There’s no added sugar to these wines, and they’re all much lower in carbs, calories, and sugar. For me, there’s no headache or fogginess the next day!
This recipe has pork, Asian flavors, and is spicy, so you can get away with a variety of wine pairings. I recommend:
Keto Version Nutrition
TL;DR: Use Bragg’s Aminos or Lite Tamari instead of coconut aminos. Use a zero-carb hot sauce, like chili-garlic sauce or Louisiana Hot Sauce. Do not use water chestnuts. Keto nutrition facts:
Yes! This egg roll in a bowl is Whole30-compliant, paleo, keto, and low carb, so it fits so many healthy diet plans.
Depending on what your dietary needs are, this recipe goes great with rice or cauliflower rice, veggies, or even a side of tofu.
This recipe makes 4 servings.