This vegan pie crust is perfectly flaky, easy, and delicious! With just a few simple ingredients you probably already have on-hand, you’ll have a flawless pie crust ready to be filled with anything you’d like.
What Makes This Vegan Pie Crust So Good
- It’s surprisingly easy to make! Most pie crusts have a tendency to be tricky to put together. However, this vegan version comes together in just a few simple steps and is utterly foolproof.
- It bakes up perfectly flaky and tender! This trusty vegan pie crust is the perfect base to all of your favorite pie recipes.
- It can be easily frozen for future use! I love prepping a double batch of this vegan pie crust, then freezing it for recipes later on. This makes throwing together your favorite pie recipes extra easy, especially when it comes to holiday baking!
Key Ingredients for Vegan Pie Crust
All Purpose Flour – This kitchen staple is the base to any pie crust recipe. Avoid replacing the all purpose flour with any other type of flour, as it really does yield the perfect, most flaky crust. And don’t put the flour away after you’ve incorporated it into the dough. You’ll want to reach for a few extra sprinklings of all purpose flour when rolling out the pie crust, to avoid any sticking!
Vegetable Shortening – Vegetable shortening replaces the butter in this veganized version of a classic. I actually prefer shortening over butter in all of my pie crusts! Vegetable shortening has a higher melting point, making it much easier to work with than butter. However, if you prefer the taste of butter in your pie crust, you can replace half of the shortening with half a cup of cold vegan butter. If using vegan butter, make sure that it is very cold before incorporating it into the flour.
- Make sure your shortening and water are super cold for this recipe. For extra cold water, I recommend filling a glass with ice water, then using that to make the dough. And for the shortening, I stick it in the fridge for at least one hour before diving into this recipe!
- You’re free to use this crust any which way you’d like! Simply incorporate it into any recipe that calls for a batch of pie crust, and bake however that recipe instructs. This vegan pie crust works the same as any other pie crust, trust me!
- Feel free to make this pie crust in the food processor, if you’d like! To do this, simply place the flour, sugar, salt, and shortening in a food processor and give it a few pulses until crumbly. Then, slowly pour the water into the food processor while it’s on, until a dough forms – do not mix beyond that point!
Pie Recipes You Must Try
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Vegan Pie Crust
- Large bowl
- Pastry cutter or fork
- Pie pan
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold vegetable shortening cut into cubes
- 4-5 tablespoons cold water
- Mix together the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add in the vegetable shortening and use either a fork or pastry cutter to slice the shortening into the flour. Continue mixing until you reach a crumbly texture, where the shortening is the size of small peas.
- Add in 4 tablespoons of cold water and mix until a ball of dough forms. If the mixture is still too dry, add in one more tablespoon of water. Only mix until a dough comes together, do not over mix!
- Place the dough on a floured work surface and roll into a 12-inch circle. Carefully transfer the dough to a pie pan and press gently to secure in place. Patch any holes in the dough and flute the edges if you’d like.
- Either use this vegan pie crust right away or store it in the fridge until ready to use.
- Avoid handling this pie crust too much, as the warmth from your hands can cause the vegetable shortening to melt.
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!